Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At a stroke

Bob_Milton
Grafter

At a stroke

To encourage the old folk.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7439182.stm
Ministers indicated the plan was for swimming at public pools to be free to all ages by the time the games start.
The government said authorities would get £80m next year to scrap over-60s' charges and £50m for the pools' upkeep.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: At a stroke

I'd quite happily pay - if the places were kept nice and clean.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I don't know where our closest Council-run swimming pool is, since they sold off them all last year.  Roll eyes
Phil
N/A

We have a pretty good one up the road.
TBH the cost has never stopped me from going, its more a case of forgetting what you have on your doorstep!
A bit like the local tourist attractions that people come from miles away to visit - many locals have never been though.
Reminds me of an article somewhere about St Pauls cathedral recently. Everybody knows the building - many consider it an emblem for London, but very few people have ever taken the time to go inside and have a look around.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I think most of  my local ones have been sold off and with the loss of revenue from all the oldies who go I think the rest will be a bit quick to sell given the council tax capping
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just got a new one, owned by the Council, on a shopping village site two miles out of town, run by an agency. - who pays?
Community Veteran

In my part of Essex the leisure centres were handed over to a private company to run.  The council laid down a contract which they have to abide by.  From what I've heard from users the centres are better run than before and have much more up-to-date equipment.
Fixes: 47

We're lucky to have Ponds Forge in Sheffield which has Olympic facilities as well as a very good leisure area.
It's a long time since I went swimming though (a relatives pool in Vancouver 4 years ago).
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Are you saying Kinetica are a good Company? my local paper has had loads of complaints recently because they cant organise the staff rota and have closed the pool without notice, also the bus park is the other side of the Shopping Village car park and the School kids have to walk between the parked cars to get to the pool 
sorry the Google map is not up to date but the swimming pool is the building site and the bus park is top left
Fixes: 47

Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation