cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assisted Dying

Community Veteran

Assisted Dying

A dying man has announced on Linledin that he will end his life tomorrow at the Dignitas Clinic in Switzerland. He has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.
Assisted Dying
Last month Parliament debated assisted dying in the UK for the second time and voted against a change in the law.
In the US some States have changed their law to allow assisted dying. Other States are considering following the same way.
This is a very difficult decision. Should we allow assisted dying here?
17 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Assisted Dying

no
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

It's very difficult to answer.
Hospitals already "assist" with no help no feeding policies.
Community Veteran

Yes it is a difficult question to answer. This isn't  about someone in hospital where staff can assist in the process. It's an individual who feels his life is no longer acceptable and wants to end it. Simon Binner feels he cannot carry on. Very sad.
Fixes: 47

I can think of valid arguments for both sides but thinking about the subject, I am unable to come to a firm conclusion.
If pushed, I would tend towards voluntary euthanasia on the basis that it is a freedom of choice. 
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd say that yes, we should have it, after all, we have it for animals, and when an animal has an injury the owner can't pay for, they get the vet to kill 'em, if a person ends up in a PVS with no hope of ever recovering, we keep their bodies on life support taking up space in hospitals that could be opened up to help those who actually have a chance of living, if I were ever to end up in a PVS state, I want them to pull the plug and let me go gracefully, no point hanging around when there's nothing left...
The main reason the gubbernment won't allow it is the pharmaceutical industries love people who are stuck on pills, treatments, life support machines and other stuff they can supply, and the government have the hand of these industries up their backsides like puppets to make sure they continue to get all the money rakes in from people who may aswell be dead...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ 2cvbloke.... whilst I have some sympathy for your point of view, regarding the financial benefits of keeping people alive on pills, and of course, giving nurses and doctors a reason to go on living, themselves,... after all they need the money to provide for their families, and their lifestyles too,...  the biggest problem the government have, is ensuring that
those who WANT to die, because of their debilitating illness, and lack of a future, except to be kept in a vegetative state can end their lives respecfully, and in a dignified manner, which, in sosme respects will be saving the government money, due to less social security payments, of whatever ilk... and free up medical equipment and personnel, for those that require them.

and to protect those who, although in similar stages of life, desire to prolong it, in the hope of getting better, or some improved relief....
and to balance that against, the difficulty of proving illegal  "murder" by intent, as opposed to (legal murder)  "assisted suicide".. when someone has died.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: twocvbloke
we have it for animals the rest of the animal kingdom

We are also a species of animal.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

This is a very difficult issue. That should have, in my opinion, nothing to do with politicians and be purely a medical matter dealt with by an independent panel of doctors on an individual case basis, that takes into account the "patients" proven wishes. To avoid clashes of interest of family members, they should not be consulted until after a medical/psychological assessment/recommendation has been made.
This should be followed by a (mercifully) short cooling off period.
But, yes, I am in favour of assisted dying as long as the only alternative is a pain filled bed-ridden existence. And it is the express wish of the patient.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think it's an individual decision, what right has anyone else to decide what I can or cannot do with my body unless of course I am mentally ill and unable to make a decision.
Lets us assume I have been told that I have an aggressive form of cancer or some condition that is going to seriously affect my quality of life, eg Huntingtons Chorea or similar condition and that disease will reach a point in x number of months when I can no longer look after myself then It should be my right to administer a drug that would end my life, no Doctor or nurse would need to be involved.
If on the otherhand I was unable to do this myself I should be able to leave written instructions that someone should be allowed to administer such drugs that would end my life.
I believe there are some Doctors and Nurses who would be willing to carry out such instructions if it was legal.
And for all all those who disagree with this point of view remember that many of these conditions in the later stages lead to loss of bodily functions which can include eating with difficulity, painful bed sores, incontinence and a range of other problems, so no I don't want that and if we ignore the wishes of those who do want to die are we more concerned about our own feelings rather than that persons pain and suffering.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I wouldn't want this thread to switch to a discussion of individual ailments but, @gleneagles, my wife's family was afflicted with Huntingtons, her sister, brother, father and her sisters two children also had it, all died before their 47th birthday some much younger.
I saw my sister-in-law a number of times before she died, and can attest it is an appallingly dreadful condition (once upon a time known as St Vitus Dance)
For some reason, Huntingtons by-passed Mrs P, she has MS instead, they're not medically related.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Petlew,
I am sorry to hear that, I have known several people in various stages of this genetic condition and it's an awful thing to have, as it is passed down through the generations, it is possible to test people who may have it but who would want to take such a test.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I think the problem is that it would be too easy for the next Harold shipman to operate with impunity if we legalised such a thing, that fella started off assisting those that begged him and ended up killing those who had no such wishes to feed his need to watch someone go .....
what we do need is a change in the law so that someone can go to court in front of a judge and obtain a legal order to end things (with assistance for those unable to D.I.Y.) without any fallout on those around them, on a case by case basis for anyone with any condition and not just those who a hospital seeks to switch off the machines after a brain stem test shows no activity.
in years past there were procedures that were followed to allow those with terminal illnesses to go into the great unknown with some dignity any tox screen would of clearly shown a missive od of prescribed meds but none was ever performed as it was well known what process had been undertaken, but since the late 80's early 90's such things have been viewed in a different light and ceased to be undertaken.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Steve
Pro

After stumbling across this on the news I watched a couple you tube videos on the matter at hand. What a way to go eh, dignity intact. An outrage that the bloke has to leave his home country to where he can die legally and with complete dignity.
Community Veteran

there is no need to change the law.  the politicians are endlessly cowardly about this subject.  when tony nicholson wanted help to die, he was denied.  poor man had to starve himself to death, as did debbie purdy.  there was no need to put these people through such torture.
when tony bland (hillsborough) became enough of an inconvenience taking up a hospital bed, the judiciary was asked to make a decision as to whether the doctors may withdraw sustenance.  this was allowed and some days later mr bland died.
if the courts can be used in such a case, they can also make a decision for each person like tony nicholson and debbie purdy that would enable a doctor to fit them with a delivery pump that they could operate via computer to give themselves a lethal dose of morphine.
i feel that the authorities are too beholden to the parasites running the fairy story business; those hypocrites who throw their hands up in horror and cry "heaven forfend".  these are the creeps who think that suffering is good for some invention they call "soul".
i wonder how many of us have put our goodbye kit together to take if we feel the need arises?