Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assange

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Assange

Julian Assange as most of us will know has been forcibly removed from that London embassy where let's face it, he's been living at for to long - but should he be extradited to the US?

Corbyn not unexpectedly thinks not, but our current government seems to take the view that he should face justice - even if it is American style with knobs on and a big axe to grind.

I have mixed feelings about it m'self. On the one hand the likes of Manning as a serving member of the military got less than deserved in my view. Assange on the other is not even American and shouldn't have to face an administration out for revenge.

Whistleblower yes, but traitor to America? I don't see how.

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Fixes: 876

Re: Assange

According to this https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/11/18306327/julian-assange-wikileaks-cfaa-indictment-first-amendment... it's not as bad a charge as it could have been - one count of CFAA which has 5 years as a maximum penalty.
It all seems a bit frothy and trying to scare people from what I have read around it. But if it wasn't committed on US soil (or a computer in the US) I'm not sure how he can be extradited.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I don't think it's fair that he's tried as a traitor either - he's not american, he's not betrayed his own.

Sure so he's pee'd them off, so what, that's what politics, wars and the like have been about for centuries. He's not one of theirs, just because he's exposed their secrets doesn't mean he should be sent there for trial.

I'm not overly keen on the Syria or it's leader either but they're not going to send over their leaders to face justice here are they

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well lets hope sense prevails and we are not obliged under some sort of quid pro quo basis to send him to the US. Send him back to Australia maybe and let them sort it out, but that's about it.  

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

By all means send him back to Australia but via Sweden, he may have some embarrassing charges to answer.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Indeed, but why should a third country decide that.

Australia first and Sweden second or not in accordance with their own legal system. It does make you wonder though why he sought sanctuary in the Ecuadorian embassy rather than his own. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Let's face it if the Americans want him then they will get him....the government is hardly going to fall out with the US over him.

I have not seen and have little interest in what he disclosed except the video shown on the BBC where a missile kills a number of civilans and in the background there is a voice which says, ' Light them up' no matter what your opinion I doubt anyone can justify that sort of thing.....and how many other similar instances have occured ?

Whilst I have little sympathy for the man himself it does make me wonder what actually goes on but we hear nothing about it.

Far too much secrecy both here and in a number of other countries

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I have always wondered what the Australian governments take has been on this whole saga; I don't remember seeing anything about it in the press here.

Our extradition agreement with the US is considered rather one-sided, and it is said to be easier to get a British citizen extradited from the UK to the US than it would be to get anyone extradited from one US state to another.  You probably remember a couple of cases of British hackers gaining entry to rather secret US material from the computers in their bedrooms.  What I can't understand is why a world power like the US can't secure their secrets better; if little UK building societies had security this lax, our accounts would most likely be emptied by relatively mediocre hackers.

Why Ecuador?  Perhaps he'll one day release that secret.  It looks like a large town house, and I imagine most of it is offices so there has probably not been much room to move about.  One option, given that he's technically been resident in Ecuador since 2012, would have been to grant him Ecuadorian citizenship, and appoint him to some made-up diplomatic job, e.g. cyber security attaché.  With diplomatic immunity he could then have left the country in the same way as the Libyan embassy staff did after the murder of WPC Yvonne Fletcher.  Or doesn't Ecuador produce enough oil?

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

I've just discovered this dated 11th January 2018 (from the Guardian so even the most hardened remainer will have to believe it):

"The 46-year-old has been naturalised after living for five and a half years in the cramped, Latin American country’s embassy in Knightsbridge, central London.

Earlier this week the UK’s Foreign Office revealed that Ecuador had asked for Assange, who was born in Australia, to be accredited as a diplomat. The request was dismissed."

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

According to a article in todays DM the staff at the embassy were glad to see the back of him..

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

So Emily Thornberry wants Assange to be handed to Sweden to face sex charges. I appreciate her concern for the women who allegedly suffered, but can't help my suspicion. Her concern is less with the women than "spitting" at U.S.A.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Still failing to understand why we cannot send him back to Australia. Maybe they cannot stand the thought have having him around for seven years. Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

It now appears that his Ecuadorian citizenship has been 'suspended'.

It would seem that the most recent moves in this case have a lot to do with the new Ecuadorian president wanting to ensure the US continues to provide aid to Ecuador.

If memory serves me right Mr Assange was happy for Swedish police to interview him at the Ecuadorian Embassy but they refused.  His argument was that if he went to Sweden, he would be extradited to the US from there.

The 'Swedish charges' have long since been dropped, but - as has been mentioned - a number of Westminster MPs, who have a lot of time on their hands since we left the EU on 29th March, now want those charges reinstated, seemingly whether the women in question want that or not.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Highlighted
Rising Star

You'd have thought that the easiest thing to do, would be to deport Assange back to Australia. The UK Government could just end this so easily. Let the Swedes deal with the Australian Government if there is any further action. Why put him through any more incarceration in a UK jail where he's currently residing? He's cost the UK Taxpayer enough money already.