cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspergers Syndrome

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Aspergers Syndrome

I have been reading Midnight Caller's topic regarding dyslexia.
I am prompted to ask, "Are you, or do you know anybody with Asperger's Syndrome?.
I have a relative who has it.
17 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Aspergers Syndrome

What, no poll?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

My daughter is at a residential special school mainly catering for children with Aspergers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Up until Googling it a moment ago I had never heard of it.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

So far the responses reflect what I believed would be the sort of answer there would have been.
Let's have more responses please.
At this stage I guess Jelv will be watching for answers as I am.
For me this is not really an idle game.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Asperger's Syndrome is an "Autistic Spectrum" condition.
It varies from something very mild that causes few problems to a very severely disabling condition.
I have a relative where it was not diagnosed until early teens.
Many (but not all) Asperger's sufferers are particularly gifted in various arts or academic subjects.

Captainkirk
Grafter

I have a friend in the USA whose daughter has aspergers syndrome.  Her husband was in the US military and they were posted here - her daughter went to school with my daughter (both 15 now) and they were good friends too.  When they moved here she was being treated for the attention deficit disorder and was having medication for that.  It seemed to cause lots of problems and not solve very much.  After much attending the base hospital it was decided that the little girl should get an assessment at Addenbrookes - this showed that she had aspergers and not the attention disorder.  Since then (they are back in the US now and have been for several years) she has received help in school in the form of a classroom assistant to channel her attention to work and is doing extremely well.  I know that changes to her routine can throw her out somewhat but with care about informing her what is happening in advance that can mostly be sorted.  I can remember her mum telling me a while back that the school had changed her classroom and hadn't told her in advance - put her in a right pickle until she got used to it.  At least for her, management of Aspergers seems to be what keeps her on track - she is a very pretty young lady now, attending a mainstream school and recently attending her school prom with a handsome date (wish I was so lucky!!)
Tracey
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Spider
Up until Googling it a moment ago I had never heard of it.

Me neither and I can't recall anyone I know suffering from it.
Having said that, there may be but they don't discuss it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Hi Strat,
You may know someone who has it but you and others may not be aware that they have. I watched University Challenge recently and am pretty sure I saw a competitor who seemed to exhibit characteristics of Aspergers.
regards,
Bob
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hasn't anyone here watched Doc Martin? That's a pretty good portrayal of Aspergers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I'm unaware of this - unless they have introduced a new character.
Wikipedia (accurately) says:-
"The lack of demonstrated empathy is possibly the most dysfunctional aspect of Asperger syndrome. Individuals with AS experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or enjoy spontaneous interests or achievements with others, a lack of social or emotional reciprocity, and impaired nonverbal behaviors such as eye contact, facial expression, posture, and gesture"
[Obviously present in a greater or lesser degree]

Community Veteran

Just as autism has a "spectrum", so Aspergers and similar disorders within the "autistic spectrum" themselves have a "spectrum". So symptomatic behaviours can vary widely from individual to individual despite a similar clinical diagnosis.
Diagnostics in this sort of field are tricky, but a distinctive feature of those with a recognisable autistic-type disorder, and highly typical of Aspergers in particular, is a marked lack of empathy or capacity to understand the experience of others.
There is some evidence that it is more prevalent in men than women, but the epidemiology is a bit scant and contradictory on this subject; so quite interesting that at least two who've posted here say they know girls with a diagnosis.  There are those who say, of course, that men are all autistic to some degree ....
Evidence for a connection between Aspergers and some form of "giftedness" is mostly anecdotal; not unrelated is that another distinctive feature of the syndrome can be monomania, so it's often accompanied by single minded devotion to learning one thing (a skill or a subject) perhaps to the exclusion of much else.
50 or 60 years ago someone with "mild" Aspergers would probably have been considered merely eccentric, while someone with a greater range of more extreme symptoms would probably have been considered "retarded" (as we used to say).
Good thing we've moved on I say.

brad
Grafter

I believe my cousin has mild Aspergers and mild Autism, along with ADHD (ADD depending on preferencial abbreviations).
I echo paulh's last sentence and am glad that we have all become more open to things like this.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

My fiancee is currently doing her PGCE, and the school she is on placement at has the majority of its pupils with some kind of condition or other, one of them being aspergers syndrome.  Until she started there I'd never heard of it, but it's been a real eye opener learning about it and other things over the last 7 or 8 weeks.
Phil
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: paulh
...Evidence for a connection between Aspergers and some form of "giftedness" is mostly anecdotal; not unrelated is that another distinctive feature of the syndrome can be monomania, so it's often accompanied by single minded devotion to learning one thing (a skill or a subject) perhaps to the exclusion of much else...

Anyone who devotes a lot of time and effort to learning a skill or subject is likely to become extremely "gifted" in that area - 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration perhaps? Subjects which are logical and internally self-consistent (such as mathematics or many aspects of music) are therefore very attractive. Since Asperger only described the syndrome in 1944, it is not possible to describe all the problems a sufferer will face in their lifetime.