Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ashopton, the submerged Village of Ladybower

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ashopton, the submerged Village of Ladybower

A very interesting article with lots of brilliant old photo's of the Village of Ashopton which was submerged when the Ladybower Dam was flooded in 1943.

Just the Church Spire now remains, visible when water levels are low.

Most of the village was demolished before the flooding.

The Ladybower Reservoir was officially unveiled on September 25, 1945 by King George VI in front of a crowd of 25,000 people

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5114137/Derbyshires-Atlantis-Stunning-images-lost-village.ht...

Ashopton Ladybower.jpg

7 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 210

Re: Ashopton, the submerged Village of Ladybower

That’s really interesting. I’ve been to Ladybower a few times and never knew this.

I’ll remember this next time I go.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Infinity
Pro

When I were young.....

My Dad used to take us to Ladybower quite often for a picnic, and we always looked out for the Church Spire.

There is actually a mounted plaque by that location, in amongst the trees on the right hand side as you drive in.

As you enter the Derwent Valley, where Ladybower is located, you can easily see when the water level is low.

On a good sunny day, there is a wonderful walk around, we used to take bikes too. You can also hire these.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I was under the impression the church was demolished for safety reasons (dynamited on 15 December 1947), the church bell was rehoused at  St Philip's Church in Chaddesden.

ffox
Rising Star

journeys wrote:

I was under the impression the church was demolished for safety reasons (dynamited on 15 December 1947) 

That's what Wikipedia says: " The church spire was left intact to form a memorial to Derwent. However, it was dynamited on 15 December 1947, on the rationale of safety concerns."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derwent,_Derbyshire

Now do we believe Wikipedia or the Daily Mail?  Both can be a bit dodgy when it comes to facts. 

(The Star agrees with Wikipedia, btw.  When I was a QFI at RAF Syerston in the late 60s,  Ladybower was on one of the low-flying routes. Over a 3 year span I never saw the spire from the air.)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

AshoptonChurch.JPG

Remains of the church (Jan 1996 during drought)

Infinity
Pro

Infinity wrote:

When I were young.....

My Dad used to take us to Ladybower quite often for a picnic, and we always looked out for the Church Spire.

There is actually a mounted plaque by that location, in amongst the trees on the right hand side as you drive in.

The above explains why although we always looked out for the Church Spire...... we never saw it !!

Infinity
Pro

Interesting Video, plus others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRSolSz9AsY