cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asda and freeview boxes.

Community Veteran

Asda and freeview boxes.

I was in Asda buying a very inexpensive freeview box (not for me as I have 2 Sky+ boxes) and was shocked to sail through the checkout without being asked for my name and address.
Is this not illegal?
When I worked in Maplin Electronics it was almost a sackable offence not to record tv licensing details even for PCI tv tuner cards and the till system would not easily let you skip this.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Asda and freeview boxes.

I would assume as you cant use the box to receive tv there is no need. Yes you do get tv on it but only if you have a tv to connect it to so they would get you on the tv not the box
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I agree with Sean. I believe it is a legal requirement to collect the information. I have had to give details in Argos to buy an aerial. I too bought a STB from ASDA without being asked my details.
geewizz
Grafter

When you worked in Maplins were you required to ask for the purchaser's name and address or the address of the property at which the tv equipment was intended to be used?
I don't have any tv equipment and therefore I don't have a tv license, so if I bought a Freeview box as a present for my mother, would I be legally required to give my own name and address to the vendor at the point of sale or would the vendor be legally required to stop the sale if I refused to give my own name and address?
Community Veteran

Quote from: samuria
I would assume as you cant use the box to receive tv there is no need. Yes you do get tv on it but only if you have a tv to connect it to so they would get you on the tv not the box

Not exactly. You could use a composite or s-video to usb capture device (for which you don't need a licence as it has no tuner) to watch the freeview box on a pc.
As fpr supplying details when buying an aerial, I am suprised at this as I was led to beleive that it was only required for devices with a tv tuner either satelite, terrestrial, digital or analogue. Basically any device that can tune into BBC broadcasts which gives me another question. Why does the whole of Europe not have to pay a Brittish TV licence as they too can receive BBC free via satellite?
And for the last question. You can supply any name and address. Just make sure that address does have a license. The person on the checkout will really not care either way.
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: Sean

And for the last question. You can supply any name and address. Just make sure that address does have a license. The person on the checkout will really not care either way.

Which just goes to demonstrate what a waste of time the whole exercise is.
Community Veteran

The same happened to me also in ASDA.  I purchased a freeview box and was not asked for my name and address.  It seems a commmon policy across ASDA so I guess they have checked it out.
Fixes: 104

I develop the back end processing systems for a retailers website and we only have to send the TV licensing people details of those who buy TV's not receiving equipment.
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

I am not a lawyer, but the info on the TV Licensing website does seem fairly clear to me.
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/tvdealers.jsp
You are required by law to notify us of all your sales and rentals

The Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (as amended) states that you are required by law to tell us when you sell or rent any television set as well as many other items of TV receiving equipment.
This includes the sale or rental of any of the following items (whether new or second hand):

• TV set
  • DVD or video recorder
  • Digital box
  • PC (including laptop) with TV card
  • TV card

You must notify us within 28 days of each transaction, providing full details of the buyer or hirer.
(Although mobile phones may be used to watch and record television programmes, you are not required to tell us when you sell these.) 
Community Veteran

That seems clear enough James.  I wonder if ASDA is the only retailer to not ask for name and address.  I would have thought their legal people would have checked this out for them.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: Sean
...sail through the checkout without being asked for my name and address.
Is this not illegal?

Is this just a glitch on sale of Freeview boxes?  Does ASDA ask for a name and address when they sell TVs?
N/A

Not sure, although I do know quite a few folks at Asda head office, including the guy who buys the electrical category - I'll see if I can find anything out from him.
Community Veteran

ASDA certainly ask for name and addresss when selling TVs.
geewizz
Grafter

I wonder how many retailers are asking for the correct details and how many just ask for the name and address of the purchaser?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I've recently bought a freeview box from Makro and a TV from QVC.  Neither of them asked for names or addresses, though Makro will have an address on the account (not my address though), and QVC have my address as a delivery address, though we would have changed this to be my mums address if my wife wasn't on school holidays.
Phil