cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As quiet as a mouse!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: As quiet as a mouse!

It's been a year of catching rodents for me.
Three rats under my shed. Not including the rat present my neighbours cat brought for me.
Five mice in my under stairs cupboard. A couple which I caught by hand. Filled up the gaps around pipes so that should see the end of them for now.
Four mice in my attic.
And like the OP I had a very noisy scrabbling around my attic hatch last night. Sure I saw a head pop up out of the corner of my eye, in the gap between the floor boards and the roof. A trap had been sprung but there was nothing in it. So I put in three more traps all baited with strawberry flavour nougat which sticks well. I had barely stepped off the ladder when a trap snapped. But again it was empty.
I'm guessing that means rat so now I have my large serrated rat trap up there. A good trap but a bit "messy".
For now it's all quiet so hopefully it's been scared away.

Fixes: 196

The blighters (two of them from what I can make out) are getting more blasé; he dart across the room in front ofme but are too fast to catch.
@billnotbe. Did you literally catch them by hand or use a box or something? What did you do with them once caught?
I have traps laid out with chocolate/toffee combination but they haven't taken the bait.
I may have to resort to poison - not an otion I'm happy with.
Any other suggestions out there?
Edir: as I write this I can see one from the corner of my eye. As soon as I turn round, slowly, with a box in my hand it darts off again back under the settee.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I feel partly responsible for you're lack of success Mav. Mice, like many rodents have very virtually no bowel or bladder control and leave trails and tracks behind them, other mice follow these trails, the trick it to set your traps where the mice want to be rather than where you can keep an eye on them.
Usually mice favour the skirting edges of rooms.
I ordered two new traps at the same time you did Mav, their tally so far is Mice 0 traps 3.
If you've seen one under your sofa, put one there.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

At the moment the traps are close to the settee but either side and by the wall (there's no skirting).
The only way to place the traps under the settee is to lift it up and push them there as there is no room to push under the edges.
As it's a large, heavy sofa-bed I may not be able to do this on my own (SWMBO is away - I'm sure that's why the mice are more daring Cheesy)
Anyway, I'll try to place them under the sofa; better put my shoes on as I push the traps in place Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Just been speaking to SWMBO and she told me her mum suggested placing an opened bottle on the floor at a slight angle with food at the far end plus a little oil.
Apparently, once the mouse is inside the oil will stop it from climbing back out and it can be disposed off. Anyone else heard of this or even been successful?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Maybe you should get a cat ? - that's what the Prime Minister did - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15717341   Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

...or get a Corn Snake.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_Snake
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

http://mypetfwd.blogspot.com/2011/11/where-larry-when-you-need-him-prime.html
Apparantly throwing cutlery is the PM's preferrred mouse control technique  Shocked
Larry has bee failing on the job  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra

Quote from: purleigh
Maybe you should get a cat ?
Quote from: AlaricAdair
...or get a Corn Snake.

No cats or other pets  - ever again Cool
I assume you'd have to have damn good aim to hit a mouse with cutlery and do any damage.
Got to do this the hard way.
I have now put some poison down as well. It's under the settee, under the cupboard and by the PC.
Next step... Magnum .44  Cheesy

Quick update...
Haven't seen any of the blighters today so far.
It's hard to tell if they've eaten any of the poison. Instructions indicate 20g is required for a mouse and that's a lot. Maybe they've eaten a little and are now nursing tummy upsets. Or perhaps they know it's poison and just not coming out.
As long as they stay away I'm happy. I dn't want another sitting next to me on the settee Cry

Fixes: 100

Put EastEnders on that'll shift it Lips are sealed

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

[quote=Mav]It's hard to tell if they've eaten any of the poison
If you can't tell then they haven't touched it ! - you will know when they have as ALL the bait will have disappeared, OR they will try and cover it up for later with anything they can move like bits of paper, edges of carpet, wood fragments from under the floorboards, and of-cuts of copper plumbing, etc.

[quote=Mav]Maybe they've eaten a little and are now nursing tummy upsets
They don't eat a little, they eat A LOT !

[quote=Mav]Instructions indicate 20g is required for a mouse and that's a lot
I have not weighed the bait I use as the stuff uses a scoop, but in each saucer I make a heap about the size of a large handful.

[quote=Mav]perhaps they know it's poison and just not coming out
It is very likely they have not come out yet because something new has appeared in their 'run', give it a day or two and they will be back.
If you only put the poison down in the last 24 hours, then you might just have to wait until evening until they start to stir.

Thanks for that, Purleigh.
As to the weight, each sachet contains 50g so I evenly distributed 2 sachets between the 5 of the trays that came with the posion.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

thets the trouble then, they are trying to find the tray with 20 grams in it

Grin