cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As quiet as a mouse!

Fixes: 121

As quiet as a mouse!

Whoever coined this phrase didn't reckon on ours...
We must have the only jackboot-wearing mice with diezel-driven teeth.
They wait until it is so quiet before they start their parade but I can hear them over and above the sound of my whirring PC and that is loud!
Tonight they've shifted to almost diagonally from where they seemed to have been over the last few nights. But that means they are in the skirting behind the PC - where all the cables are. Bet the buggers miss the mains cables.
So, how to be rid of these pests. Any ideas, traps, poison, sweet-talking? What's the best solution?
See what they've done to me... I've been censored by the PN swear filter Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

65 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: As quiet as a mouse!

We have the world champion mouse catching cat. Some of those she presents us with are not dead unfortunately. Have unsuccessfully tried all sorts of humane traps but have regretfully used "killer" traps for sometime now. The most effective bait I've found is toffee the little blighter's can't resist it. Currently use the slightly up-market trap (available in Homebase) that has a small cup for bait rather than a hook arrangement. Its jolly sensitive too will spring just by breathing hard on it.
Forget cheese, its an old wives tale, mice don't actually like it apparently.
Occasionally the cat will catch a vole, always regret trapping these as they are non-destructive and rather cute, so I try to release them, they also seem to like playing with the cat as well until she gets fed-up and delivers the coup-de-gras.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m with Petlew, if you use "humane" traps, that just trap the mouse in a plastic box, it could die of starvation, if you have forgotten all about where you put the trap(s).... also, what do you do with the live mouse?  of course..... you take it in your garden and let it go.... Oh thank you kind sir, bit chilly out here, I think I`ll go back inside where it is nice and warm !>...
use the cheap wooden base with the pointy bit for bait.... use chocolate,...or a bit of fruit (banana or pear) .... works brill... as Petlew says... very sensitive on the trap , so mind your fingers...

@Petlew
Is this what you were referring to?
I assume they are to be used once each only.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I have constant problems with mice and rats, as the house is out in the countryside and the mice like to move into the warm at this time of year.
The ONLY thing that works for me is Neosorexa
I have to lay saucers of the stuff inside, outside, in the attic, in the shed, in the greenhouse, near the recycling, under floorboards.
At least once a week I check all the bait outdoors, but indoors you can hear when the bait has gone !
If you do find this works, then buying it in bulk from internet suppliers is much cheaper than the small tubs.
The other thing you should do is examine possible mouse entry points on the outside of the house and fill the gap, or cover with fine mesh, as a mouse can fit through a hole the size of a pencil - as they have soft flexible bones.
Oh and another thing, make sure your water tanks in the attic are tightly fitted, as fishing out fermenting mouse carcasses is disgusting, and it makes your hot water from the taps stink !   Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Funny this thread started as I just found one in the shed living in the SO's pair of old gardening gloves. I was only looking for a car part, moved some bubble wrap on top of some old alloys and the gardening gloves were on top.. with a shocked mouse looking at me. I'm not normally scared by them and I certainly don't mind them too much but in a shed full of spiders it scared the [Censored] out of me!
Edit: Just thought.. I have a funny feeling all those old rubber door seals I kept from a car I broke may now be useless.. bummer!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Is this what you were referring to?

Well, the link worked but produced a blank (Homebase...so did Googling homebase mousetraps) page so I'm not sure, but this may be what you meant: http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-en_gb/121448/reviews.htm?sort=rating
If so, no its not the one. The one I use is like a traditional wooden trap but made of plastic with a small cup instead of the wire hook of the traditional one. It is tripped by the mouse stepping on to a flat plate surrounding the cup. Sounds more elaborate than it actually is.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Link works fine for me so not sure why you can't see it.
Anyway I've posted a pic below as the one in your link isn't the same.
Edit: picture showing a mouse running away doesn't instill confidence in the product Undecided

Community Veteran

Its this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rentokil-Advanced-Mouse-Trap-Twin/dp/B000T5N0JE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1319...
Although it was in Homebase packaging when I bought mine. The alternate photo in the link shows it better.

Yes - that's more how I see a mousetrap.
Obviously your one is re-usable but not sure the one I found is.
At least with my one you wouldn't have to touch the mouse making more sensible for SWMBO to use should I be out.

Community Veteran

Your good lady can breath again the rodent isn't touched with this trap either. The arm with the yellow sleeve is the "killing" arm, when its done its job, the other arm (plain) comes to a vertical position 90 degrees to the base. The end of the trap without the mouse in it can be "handled" and the plain arm pulled down allowing the "body" to drop into a bin.
Nice touch though; that a soft plastic sleeve is provided to soften the blow that breaks the mouses neck!! very thoughtful...
PS. I can confirm this trap is very efficient.

I've ordered a pair from Amazon and they should be here next week.
I'll let you know how we get on.
Anyone tried mouse stew before? Roll eyes

Community Veteran

Don't forget the toffee. Bite off a small piece chew till soft, press into the cup, It will stick like glue the mouse can't pull it out.

As I started to read your reply, Petlew, I was picturing the stew with toffee in it. Put me right off the idea. Grin
Chocolate also seems to be recommended. Trouble is, there's never any left after SWMBO sees it Cheesy

Community Veteran

You should read James Clavell's "King Rat" there's some good recipes for cooking rodents in there Cheesy