cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As news of Google glass comes to the UK, It could steal your PIN with just a gla

TORPC
Grafter

As news of Google glass comes to the UK, It could steal your PIN with just a gla

nce
How Google Glass could steal your PIN with just a glance: Video analysis app can work out security codes from ten feet away

[quote= http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2668140/Google-Glass-steal-PIN-codes-wearer-isnt-looking-victim.html]Google's controversial Glass wearable computer can be used to steal people's PIN codes from ten feet away simply by looking at them, it has been claimed.
Researchers developed special software to analyse the shadows and movements of peoples’ fingers in order to decipher PIN codes entered into tablets and smartphones.
The team also showed the same technique would work using an iPhone 5, Samsung Smartwatch and webcam.
Scroll down for video

Concerns over privacy & etiguette
13 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Re: As news of Google glass comes to the UK, It could steal your PIN with just a gla

If someone is standing behind you they can do exactly the same, always check if anyone is around when entering your PIN and if you're concerned just use a different machine.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
WTF
Grafter

Re: As news of Google glass comes to the UK, It could steal your PIN with just a gla

[quote= http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2668140/Google-Glass-steal-PIN-codes-wearer-isnt-looking-victim.html]
Researchers developed special software to analyse the shadows and movements of peoples’ fingers in order to decipher PIN codes entered into tablets and smartphones.
The team also showed the same technique would work using an iPhone 5, Samsung Smartwatch and webcam.
.. or with any camera  Roll eyes
If you want to worry about this sort of thing, how about the fact most ATMs are covered by CCTV and that usually has a nice high viewpoint so you wouldn't even need software
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

despite the fact this has been possible using recoding equipment for a long time why did the researchers need to create the software to actively watch peoples finger movements in order to decipher there codes so that they could write a reports on it ?

if someone wants your pin number they will get it one way or another, even if its skimming the card and asking it with pin checker....
the advent of google glass isn't going to give them the card though, so the normal rules apply don't stick it in your wallet in your unfastened pocket .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
If someone is standing behind you they can do exactly the same, always check if anyone is around when entering your PIN and if you're concerned just use a different machine.

What about the content mentioned in
Quote from: TORPC

<snip>
Concerns over privacy & etiguette

& when you think there is no-one around & from an apartment near by
The researcher's diagram showing how they were able to reliably capture PINs with a camcorder from 44 meters away - from a third floor window
What about in a car ?Huh
That is nothing to do with anyone standing behind you, as they might have the camera permanently fixated on the ATM & be in work 44 miles away.
I was talking this over with SWMBO, & our main concerns are for the privacy of our children, OK, OK, we know there is CCTV & that is governed by the law, but from the public's image capturing devices, is another issue entirely,
For example
We can not legally install a door cam, as it would clearly capture images of a neighbours front door, as it is in line of sight, (Thus breaching their privacy) even though they gave us permission to install one (as it also protects them)
How do we know that on a innocent scenario, that our children faces have not been put online somewhere, because they walked into the frame as the image was being captured, like facebook, myspace etc (Despite all our best efforts to keep our children's faces out of the internet, to protect them from the predators that are out there) (I know the same can be said for any device like phones / watches / keychains / drones with cameras etc
Therefore there has to be a line drawn somewhere
Quote from: nanotm
<snip>
don't stick it in your wallet in your unfastened pocket .....

They will be lucky to get more than £10 from mine, as I only draw money as & when I need to, for cash only transactions,
That said,
You could also place your wallet / purse in your front pocket, (more so if your the type that keeps getting told (GET those hands out of your pockets)) or similar worded phrase(s)
It is surprising, in this day&age the amount of female(s) that still wander around the town or to the local shops with their purses in their hands, rather than use a handbag
Therefore they would make easier marks, for the criminal kind
As for the researchers motive(s)
Your guesses would be as good as or if not better than mine tbf
However, now it is known, it wont take long for the (BAD Ilegal) hacker community to get it adapt it, sell it for a profit
nanotm
Pro

clearly they developed the technology for security service uses so that an agent can covertly access things like the tablet you left on the table in a bar while going to the loo (you may laugh but many people do it) and other less savoury options, no longer will it require a full surveillance team as there on board computer (cloud connected) will do the job of 10 people instantly,
then horrified with the idea of criminal uses they have publicised there work with a public protection spin to get the stuff banned from sale so it cant be co-opted for criminal purposes........
TORPC
Grafter

If the former was the case
Then it would of been kept secret  Lips are sealed
Fixes: 125

You could also place your wallet / purse in your front pocket, (more so if your the type that keeps getting told (GET those hands out of your pockets)) or similar worded phrase(s)

I've kept my card holder in my deep front pocket for many years.
I have never had it stolen from my back pocket but the number of times I've had to check simply because someone behind in a queue had got too close or someone else brushes against me as they pass was getting irritating.
I always use my other hand to cover when typing in a PIN. I think that is secure enough from prying eyes.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

They should put canopies & sides on the ATM's as it would help not just from prying eyes or help keep the card dry, but also from any wandering hands, that likes to play the game of snatchngrab, after all the money they make on extortionate charges, it's the least they can spend it on  Lips are sealed
nanotm
Pro

If the former was the case
Then it would of been kept secret  Lips are sealed

sure if they were part of a government agency,  but if as the story suggests there an independent group who conducted research  then they would be free to publish there research data so long as it didn't mention the people who commissioned there studies (a common thing with scientific groups)

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I'm OK.  I always wear a pair of tinfoil covered gloves and a hat that is suitably earthed  Crazy
TORPC
Grafter

[quote= http://www.kitguru.net/channel/generaltech/matthew-wilson/google-glass-is-now-available-in-the-uk/]The Google Glass was first made available in the US last year but the wearable is now making its way over to the UK for the first time. In addition to the UK launch, the Google Glass is getting a hardware upgrade too, bumping it up to 2GB of RAM and adding in a photo framing view finder mode.
At first, Google sent out invitations to tech bloggers and YouTuber’s to take part in the Explorers Program, this allowed the company to raise hype and awareness for the product, while at the same time collecting valuable feedback to put in to the final product before its general public release. Now, the explorer program is open to anyone who is willing to take part.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

My digital camera already has a view finder. There is way too much scaremongering from aspects of the press about this and some other new tech.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
nanotm
Pro

indeed and aside from the fact that this wearable tech has some cool features it doesn't do anything new,
criminal types have been sticking micro cameras near cash machines for years some of them have put "waterproof" coverings over the keypad (which is a far more reliable method) and then picked peoples pockets for the cards the real problem now is that the glasses use NFC which is the same technology in the contactless cards so they can effectively steal your card details just walking down the road and then fake pay for cheap stuff without needing the pin......