cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artificial Intelligence

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Artificial Intelligence

I wonder how far off it will be before we can purchase robots to our own design ?

Much work has been done on artifical Intelligence skin which not only is a close match to our own but can detect tempature and touch.

It may not be long before someone develops the software to allow users to have a intelligent conversation over the internet with a robot.

So a robot could soon be available that designed in the shape of a human and linked to the internet could sit in your own home and have a conversation with you.

Do you think this could happen in the near future ? If not why not ?

True some of the conversation may not be all that intellegent depending on the program design but plenty of conversations between humans is not always that intellegent.

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Artificial Intelligence

@gleneagles - I guess you missed this then. Wink

Fixes: 125

It's a fascinating concept and one that is reflected in the two series Westworld and, more likely, Humans.

Both series show that the AI robots are becoming (have become) sentient - aware of themselves. Would I want to have an intelligent conversation win an AI? Probably not. Would we know if we were at some stage in the future? Probably not?

The other issue is the idea of the singularity wherein the AI creates further AI and so on far exceeding human capabilities. I find this bit quite scary.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just don't forget the morality subroutines and we'll be fine... Grin

Community Veteran

I don't know about AI's but every time I call up some companies or other helpline I'm pretty certain I'm talking to a non sentient human.

Fixes: 47

Absolutely yes.

Mav wrote

The other issue is the idea of the singularity wherein the AI creates further AI and so on far exceeding human capabilities. I find this bit quite scary.

Scares me too.

We talk about safeguards but if the 'robots' are smarter than us what worth would those safeguards have Undecided

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

gleneagles wrote:

It may not be long before someone develops the software to allow users to have a intelligent conversation over the internet with a robot.

True some of the conversation may not be all that intellegent depending on the program design but plenty of conversations between humans is not always that intellegent.

Have you read the Plusnet Feedback board lately  ? ? ?   it`s already happening, to some customers ! ! !

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

billnotben wrote:

I don't know about AI's but every time I call up some companies or other helpline I'm pretty certain I'm talking to a non sentient human.

That would be a graduate, lot's of them have 'artificial intelligence' degrees - I know I have Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Or we could just get married? Grin

Sorry, I know you are making a serious point. Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.