cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artificial Heart

Community Veteran

Artificial Heart

The first entirely artificial heart has been fitted in the UK and the patient will soon be on his way home.  He will await a heart transplant when a suitable organ becomes available. The artificial heart was fitted at Papworth hospital near Cambridge which is the leading heart centre in the UK and a world centre of excellence.
Artificial Heart
900 of these devices have been used worldwide and they can work for up to 3 years.
15 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Artificial Heart

Taken from their website: “Woodbridge Farm, situated in the heart of Dorset, has been the home of the Davies family for over 40 years.Dorset Blue Vinny cheese could once be found in nearly every farmhouse in the county.  It was an ideal way of using the ‘left-over’ milk after the cream had been skimmed off for butter-making.  As a result the cheese had a very low fat content which was typically very hard, dry and crumbly, with little or no blue.  The blueing in those days was encouraged by a number of methods, for example dragging mouldy horse harnesses through the milk before adding the rennet, storing the cheese on damp hessian bags  or even next to mouldy boots.  You may be relieved to know that we no longer resort to any of these methods but instead the blue is introduced by means of a blue mould solution.

whats this got to do with Papworth
why dont you stop trying to be clever and just post the link?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14363731
Fixes: 121

Seems that stress can trigger an alarm. Scary stuff.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2021443/Matthew-Green-40-person-UK-fitted-artificial-heart...
Good luck to him.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yes, I saw the scare in one of his TV interviews.  Luckily he had a lot of medical support available.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Wonder how he sleeps at night ? He would only have to turn over and end up pulling one of the tubes to be in trouble.
nadger
Rising Star

Overall pretty amazing stuff and it was surprising how good he looked.
I'm not surprised that he took this option as he had a high probability of death if he didn't - tends to focus the mind.
@gleneagles - I sleep every night connected to a tube and not pulled it out since I started over 2 years ago. You do learn to organise it and they'll have allowed plenty of slack.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

With a bit of luck he'll be able to watch his son grow up.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nadger
Rising Star

One does wonder what they'll eventually manage to achieve with further miniaturization.
Community Veteran

The first transplant in the UK was performed at Papworth in 1979.  The recipient was Keith Castle who died in 1985.
nadger
Rising Star

I still remember the first heart transplant on 3rd December 1967.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiaan_Barnard
Community Veteran

Seems such a long time ago and so much has changed in the meantime.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

So the story goes. Much experimentation in South Africa was conducted using monkey's before a human transplant.
Sounds Ok. except it was reported that there was saving on expenses by not bothering to anaesthetise the monkey's first.
Uhmm! I wonder if that's really true...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Was there not also some criticism of Barnard for rushing to perform the procedure to be the first in the world to do so?  I seem to remember others thought he was a little premature in performing the op.
Community Veteran

Uhmm! why does the name; Dr Phillip Blyberg (may not be the correct spelling) come to mind with the experimentation.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Seem to vaguely recall that tissue rejection by the recipient was not really addressed until after the early transplants. Partly because it was not expected.