Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arms export to Turkey.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Arms export to Turkey.

Seems like our government is going halt arms exports to Turkey.

Really?

Don't see it happening m'self besides which, orders 'in the pipeline' and contractually agreed will go ahead as will arms exports to that lot in Saudi - can't let bombing the **** out of civilans and 'combatants' alike affect £billions in sales now can we. 

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Arms export to Turkey.

@Minivanman 

You might be wrong about that........

As you know the US has withdrawn troops from the area and Trump is talking about financial sanctions against Turkey if it continues the attacks, doubt the US would be pleased to see us continue to sell arms to them ?

The key player might be Russia, what if anything will they do next ?

They seem to support both sides in this conflict.....perhaps they will sell arms to both whilst keeping out of any direct action ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

This "action" by the British Government, is a "sop"... to the international society !...  Why?   well, on paper, it seems, that we will stop supplying the Turks with weapons.... and "in theory"... they will not get them... so that will stop the fighting   ? ? ? ?

Yeah... Right-oh !..

A pointless "public relations"  exercise.... and a diversion from the problems faced at home !

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I don't believe for one moment the US has withdrawn entirely from the area and while they might not have boots on the ground in the conventional sense thier forces are more than well represented in the area. Also, as the worlds number one exporter by a country mile of arms the UK is small beer by comparison with Saudi being one of theirs (and ours) best customer - and there's the worry, a small country rolling in money, soacked in oil, and all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Not good.

As for the Ruskies, well they have now placed themselves directly in between Syria and Turkey. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm sure Bernard will be pleased his Turkeys will no longer be armed... Grin

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I'm afraid the Bernards of this world will find that bird has flown and they are already well armed, locked and loaded.

Doubtful they would have rolled into Syria without making sure the had enough of just about everything to finish the job in hand. Add to that and as said, contracts already signed and agreed will have to be honoured.

And if they do run short of anything? Well no doubt China will be more than happy to supply them with copies!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It appears from the news that the Russians are backing Syria, the US have kindly left them a base with tents and other stuff, no charge !

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Turkey is in NATO; can we refuse to sell arms to a fellow NATO member?  NATO was set up on 'The Three Musketeers' principle, but they are not going to be of much use to other NATO members in times of crisis if they are not armed.  Also one of the criteria for being a sovereign state is that it must be able to defend itself.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe

Like Germany in 1933Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'm not sure what you mean, @Minivanman.  NATO didn't exist in 1933.  I do know that some Austrian with a partial moustache decided to invest heavily in arms in order to avenge the humiliation (as he saw it) of the Treaty of Versailles.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Well no of course not and I was not referring to that,  but to your definition of a nation State - hence my comparison.