Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Argos gift cards PAH!

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Argos gift cards PAH!

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
@alanf PLEASE PLEASE stop editing that post, I have had EIGHT emails about it already.
From their OWN t&c
"Free vouchers must be redeemed in-store or online by the dates stated on them" THERE IS NO DATE ON IT.

Sorry about the repeated messages.

There is no need to shout. "THERE IS NO DATE ON IT"   -  even in the early drafts of my posts I acknowledged what you had said about there being no date on your card. See "But as you say your card bears no such date."

HairyMcbiker
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@alanf I wasn't shouting at you, but at ARGOS! sorry if it looked like it was aimed at you.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

They were pretty good to me after I sent them a DM on Twitter last weekend.

Basically, they didn't have what I wanted in store but offered same day delivery (without telling me it was an extra 4 quid until I got to the till). After that, the bloke turned up a couple of hours outside the time window with the item.

I kindly asked for the P&P back and they issued it straight away.

Ask them for a follow and send a direct message.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Any chance you could post a photo/scan of the rear of the card/voucher Hairy McB? (It may be prudent to cover the number/barcode)
HairyMcbiker
Community Veteran

@MJN

Here you go number removed

argos.jpg

The  cross-hatched is where I assume the date SHOULD be.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

The cross-hatched area hides the PIN (required if you use the card online as it helps prove possession of the card).

Comparing the card with the following scans shows that whilst the wording appears to be exactly the same, the missing expiry date is conspicuous:

Package-Gift-back

(straight after the text)

Package-Gift-back

(bottom right)

Even though the cards might have a different layout the Ts&Cs are the same. I think if you pushed it further with them they'd recognise the omission of the date on yours and replace it (or allow it to be used). Indeed, as things stand you are not in breach of their Ts&Cs and so they cannot take action based on you being.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

There is something I am a bit unclear about here, if the card shows no expiry date then how do they know it has expired ?

I guess there is some reference number on the card which entered into their system is showing the card has expired but they cannot expect you to know when it expires as no date is shown, in fact I would argue that in the absence of a date the card cannot expire until you use it.

Do not waste time with the shop, simply write to head office with a copy of the card giving them 14 days to sort it out or you will go to the small claims court. Important to send the letter and pay for proof of delivery.

As to whether or not you do go to court will depend on a number of factors such as the value of the card, the hassel involved etc but that's a personal decision.

I doubt it would end up in court, they would just pay you, consider what a court case would cost them both in money terms and bad publicity, they simply would not risk it.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Oldjim
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

according to this https://www.argos.co.uk/help/gift-cards/ they usually have a life of 3 years

but from this http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/giftVouchers.htm there is an expiry date on the card unless it was bought via other retailers then it doesn't have an expiry date

Strat
Fixes: 514

Dominic Littlewood on The One Show is discussing this issue at the moment.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0.1 (64-bit)

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I saw that too and thought about HMB

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
artmo
Community Veteran

I wonder how long the person who gave you the card had had it before giving it to you? It could be they had had it for a long time, hence the expiry. Worth asking the question.

7up
Community Veteran

No it isn't worth asking - it may put strain on a friendship.

With that said, you know loads of CEOs, why don't you pull some strings for HMcB?

artmo
Community Veteran

Because it may be down to someone having had the card for some time. What would that have to do with ArgosRoll_eyes

7up
Community Veteran

It's like saying to someone "Did you have this a while... was it an unused gift that you didn't use / secondhand?"

Argos?... Oh well it is THEIR expiry date artmo - thats what it has to do with them (and the fact they didn't make this clear on the card).

HairyMcbiker
Community Veteran

NO the card was only a few months old. Owned by me only.
Had a response from them before xmas promising to look into it, not heard since then.