cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Argos gift cards PAH!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Argos gift cards PAH!

I have a gift card from Argos that I went to redeem today.

Only to be told it had EXPIRED!

NO EXPIRY DATE ON IT.

NOTHING SAID TO ME WHEN I GOT IT ABOUT IT EXPIRING.

POOR POOR SERVICE ARGOS! CrazyCrazyCrazy 

Needless to say I am fuming about it.

29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Argos gift cards PAH!

Do the british thing - COMPLAIN

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Yep, I agree with @7up! @HairyMcbiker take to social media services and let them know your thoughts. They just might take it on themselves to renew it as a good will gesture, if only to save face.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

HairyMcbiker wrote:

I have a gift card from Argos that I went to redeem today.

Only to be told it had EXPIRED!

NO EXPIRY DATE ON IT.

NOTHING SAID TO ME WHEN I GOT IT ABOUT IT EXPIRING.

POOR POOR SERVICE ARGOS! CrazyCrazyCrazy 

Needless to say I am fuming about it.

These cards are a racket.

I wonder how much money these firms make as a result of lost cards or situations like yours where it is out of date.

Equally if a company goes bankrupt your money is gone.

The time allowed to use cards before they expire varies with each company, what should happen is that a single bank should hold your money and a long expiry date agreed for all cards.

This is yet another thing the government should bring in legislation for.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I got a gift card from amazon the other day that had 10 years life on it, but with me it was lucky to see the weekend out!

What I also noticed about the Argos ads is that get £10 when you spend £100+ and not for every £100 you spend, a bit tight me thinks.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And with Amazon once you pay it into your account there is no time limit, I usually ask for Amazon vouchers for christmas or birthday so I can get what I want, what is the point of a present you may not want ? unless of course you keep it until next christmas and give it to someone else.

Cheesy

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Well if there is no expiry date on it then unlike that dead parrot, has not expired.

This of course is a mistake on their part as prices must go up, and what cost say £50 one year is going to cost more the following. Maybe there should be a standard expiry date on all of these gift cards of say to years.

Would be both reasonable and fair?  

"...... it's expired and gone to meet it's maker!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I have complained both in store (loudly) and on-line and on facebook.

Their own help system says they should have a VISIBLE expiry date on them. There is not.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@HairyMcbiker

The Ts&Cs on the Argos website say "Our gift cards are usually valid for 3 years" from purchase.  If this is the case this is more generous than any other that I have heard of. If you have only recently received  your card perhaps the donor has held onto it for some time.

https://www.argos.co.uk/help/gift-cards/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4018852/Stop-Christmas-gift-cards-rip-Government-declares-wa...

The website also says "If the date has been and gone then we can’t replace it for you (sorry). That’s why we urge anyone who receives a card to double-check the expiry date on the back." But as you say your card bears no such date.

A tip I was told by an M&S assistant last year (for which I cannot confirm the veracity) was that with M&S cards, which normally expire 2 years  after purchase, the timeout is reset each time you partially spend the voucher or you get staff to perform a balance check for you. This may or may not work with other gift cards.

If your gift card was a result of you spending £x between certain dates then there would have been a period of about a month in which to spend it. The terms of the offer would have been advertised at the time. For example https://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/en_GB/pdf/company-voucher-tcs-uk.pdf

Personally I try to spend any gift card that I receive as soon as possible. Not so much for the risk of it expiring or the issuer going bankrupt more a case that if I put them in a safe place I might mislay them.

Community Veteran

The simple fact is I was NOT TOLD OF AN EXPIRY DATE, AND THERE IS NO EXPIRY DATE ON THE CARD EITHER.

I have told them to stuff their argos CC as well, I will NOT be shopping there ever again.

If I had known it would expire then I would have used it, but there was nothing I wanted in Argos till now.

Fixes: 47

I looked through the FAQ's of https://www.voucherexpress.net/Argos/ByPost/Argos/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Is there an expiry date on a gift card?
Argos Gift Cards has an 5 years expiry date, this will be printed on the Gift Card.
Voucher express is the 'agent' Argos use for gift cards.

All very confusing but I wouldn't let it go.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

Personally I would write to Argos quoting the T&C Strat referred to and requesting that they re-instate the amount lost as a matter or urgency and that you expect an early resolution to the issue.

Only if that fails to get things sorted would I resort to taking it further. I always give a company the chance to put things right before I threaten to take proceedings further as I find politeness usually works in getting the result I want.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@alanf PLEASE PLEASE stop editing that post, I have had EIGHT emails about it already.
From their OWN t&c
"Free vouchers must be redeemed in-store or online by the dates stated on them" THERE IS NO DATE ON IT.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

HMcB don't worry, I noticed you say there is no date on it in your first post. I think everyone else is just too excited about Christmas to read properly. 

You need tocontact argos about this and point out that they have imposed unfair contractual conditions on you that you could not be expected to reasonably comply with. I'd be surprised if they continue to refuse to correct this for you. I bought a watch from them years ago for my missus which went wrong along with the next two. When I put this to them and pointed out that they were costing me money to keep going there they sorted me out a gift card to cover the fuel. 

They do put things right, you just have to be tactful with them and point out how they have done you without informing you fairly. Oh and keep on at them - if they refuse, ask for the manager, area manager, hq etc. 

Make sure you also point out that this is a point also about morals etc (record the call too for YouTube just incase they say they don't care etc). 

I've had the most stubborn companies over the barrel on the past but you have to have your wits about you. Tesco did once nearly get the better of me until I pointed out they had no stock to replace the defective item with.. At that point their hand was forced and they refunded it after 8 months. They had wanted to take it and send it off for repair until I pointed out that going wrong within a year meant it wasn't suitable quality thus  they decided they'd replace it instead of refunding it. 

It can be done,.. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Having had to return an item that didn't work, I thought I'd register with Argos and review the product on their website.  However, they only allow you to post reviews by invitation!

@Minivanman, you mean it's just pining for the fjords?