Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aren't computer systems wonderful?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Aren't computer systems wonderful?

Email received today at 12:00 from tvlicencing:
Thank you for buying your TV Licence. This email is to confirm your payment of GBP145.50 has been processed and that you are licensed.

Email received today at 18:32 from tvlicensing:
Your TV Licence expires today – please renew now.

There's nothing in the second email to say if you've renewed recently please ignore this email.
Is it any wonder that people distrust computers?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Aren't computer systems wonderful?

Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

the computer is only doing what the human programmer told it to do.
blame the human.
of course, in reality the billing system and the reminder will be be separate (for obvious reasons) and the billing system won't have told the reminder system that you have renewed yet.
Community Veteran

I realise and fully understand why. Just a little more thought by the human that wrote the second email or even an amendment to the first email where it said
http://If you receive any letters asking you to buy a TV Licence in the next few days, please ignore...
In fact, the first email could have been updated at the point of time the data was extracted for the second to say "as you have renewed so near to the deadline..."
Community Veteran

I've just shown my wife (who is not very computer literate) the two emails. Her comment "Are they stupid?"
Community Veteran

a human didn't write the second email though, it's auto generated based on your expiry date and no flag on your account to say you have renewed (yet).
but that's what happens when you have separate billing and automated emailing systems.
maybe your wife should have said "are you stupid?" for showing her the email Cheesy
Community Veteran

Jesus, I didn't realise computers had come that far - they created the template with the text for the second email with no human input?
Community Veteran

It's not the computer i distrust.. it's the TV licensing bar stewards.
They are so incompetent at checking peoples licences before sending out their threats and reminders. It's harassment that has been legalised.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

it's on a par with those other blighters who send out an invoice for £100 after you've overstayed your welcome in their car park.  as it's an invoice with no weight in law, it can safely be ignored.
incidentally, i notice that sainsbury's now has a device that reads the number plate as you enter the car park.  checking you're a genuine shopper?
Community Veteran

Ah but now the government changed the rules on that with the protection of freedoms act.. which allows the private companies to pursue the registered keeper anyway.
So there we have it.. you can lend your car to your partner or bit on the side who then parks it in the local private car park and apparently they can enter you the registered keeper into a contract by proxy without your knowledge. Never before has this been seen in this country.
And so there we have the new scams to be.. people being entered into expensive agreements by others completely without their knowledge.
Now by that reckoning, I'm sure that TVL entered into a contract with me to pay me £1 million if my neighbours renewed their licence  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Ah but now the government changed the rules on that with the protection of freedoms act.. which allows the private companies to pursue the registered keeper anyway.

not in scotland Cheesy
Community Veteran

Oh they wouldn't dare do it up there would they.. because they know full well that they'd loose control (which is gradually happening anyway).
No they can only poo on their own people and get away with it these days and thats gradually changing too.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Oh they wouldn't dare do it up there would they.. because they know full well that they'd loose control (which is gradually happening anyway).
No they can only poo on their own people and get away with it these days and thats gradually changing too.

it's not that they wouldn't dare, it's that they have no control over those laws in scotland.
those laws are already controlled by the scottish government.
Community Veteran

Which isn't that old...