cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aren't Airlines Wonderful

Fixes: 47

Aren't Airlines Wonderful

I was due to pick up my daughter and her son from Birmingham Airport at 3:00am today.
They are flying back from Turkey and there was a little electric storm at Dalaman Airport so the flight was delayed by 3 hours Roll eyes
Now I'm sitting here telling you my tale until 4:00am when I can set off down the M1.
At least the traffic should be light Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
17 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Aren't Airlines Wonderful

You should be in bed with your cup of horlicks.  Smiley  Wink

Indeed I should Gary but duty calls Roll eyes Smiley
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

O well the coffin is a calling, I will see you later.  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Your lucky your not down here, been a Multi vehicle shunt one junction before the Dartford Crossing on the M25, completely shut Clockwise probably for several more hour - Oh is happy Friday
nadger
Rising Star

I bet the Blackwall Tunnel will now be even busier as people divert.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

two cars and a van, one dead two serious, wont open til this afternoon
nadger
Rising Star

Very nasty for people involved, and their families.
Due to book a trip through the Chunnel soon and the journey round M25 is always ones biggest concern.
Fixes: 104

You could have popped in mine for a cuppa and some breakfast Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the accident was at 5:30, and they have only just started turning the back of the queue round to get them off the road, the people at the front will probably be there for nearly 5 hours, no chance of calling in for you Aidi
Fixes: 104

I'm not far away from brum airport... Strat probably drove within 5 miles of my house Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
Due to book a trip through the Chunnel soon and the journey round M25 is always ones biggest concern.

I do that several times a year and always have the same concern. I've settled on booking early-ish crossings and leaving home at about 4am to avoid the traffic. Then if there is an iffy problem on the M25 or M20 it is possible to switch to A and B roads and still make good time. The only problem is that this tends to dump me into morning rush-hour traffic on the other side, but I'd rather have it that way. If I arrive way too early, the newish motorway service area on the M20 just before the Chunnel junction is a handy place to stop for a nice fried breakfast as well. I think they cook to everything to order, or they do early in the morning.
As for airlines, they really can be wonderful at times. I spent about 20 years swanning around the world on behalf of my employer and had some really nice experiences where airline staff went way beyond the call of duty to help me out at difficult times. I also used to get upgraded to first class regularly, but that is almost certainly down to having an employer who was spending tens of millions on flights every year.

Quote from: adiewoo
.. Strat probably drove within 5 miles of my house Wink

At this moment in time I feel as though I've driven within 5 miles of every house in the country Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Strat, uhmmm! not sure if you should "blame" the airline too much, they're probably being advised by air traffic control. Getting caught in an electric storm whilst, probably not actually usually dangerous can be very very unpleasant for the passengers. Given the choice the passengers would happily delay a lot longer than the delay you had to endure.
A couple of very nasty incidents have occurred very recently with aircraft caught in storms.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

…not forgetting, of course, the not-quite-recent but utterly horrifying events of last summer.
Having said that though, I expect that by ‘airlines’ Strat simply means ‘travel by flight in general’. I've only ever made one return flight in my life so far… I didn't particularly dislike the experience of flying, but on the other hand, it doesn't appeal much to me either. I much prefer trains – OK, hardly useful for getting to places like Australia, but fine for exploring mainland Europe if you're not in a rush.