cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you proud to be British?

N/A

Are you proud to be British?

At the risk of being berated for not being Politically Correct, I am interested in hearing people's thoughts about being British.
I was listening to Radio 4 today and the subject was albinism in relation to race, colour and identity.
It was a fascinating half hour and if anyone is interested it is still on Listen Again.
Anyway, three people were interviewed and one of them was a young man who came to England three years ago, encouraged by his father who declared that
India was not the place for him and he would do better in another country.
He is an intelligent person who has obtained a job in a call centre and was absolutely delighted with his new life.
He had been given more than enough extra training time to learn and is living in an area of predominately the indigenous population because he feels accepted and comfortable. 
He feels that his handicap his much less of a problem in this country because of all the help that he gets. For instance, he can travel about quite easily and independently.
Of course there are no disability discrimination laws in India so it makes him doubly appreciate ours.
It just made me feel how lucky we are to be here and how we have so much to be proud of.
Hope that I am allowed to say all this as I know it's not PC to 'blow our own trumpet' so to speak.
49 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Are you proud to be British?

I`m inclined to agree with your thoughts..... the biggest problem is the other 65+million people who live here seem to think otherwise.... Undecided
Fixes: 101

I'm proud to be English if that helps Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wouldn’t say I'm proud, just content, often embarrassed.
I do at times find I'm apologising for the antics of my fellow countrymen (either with Polish friends seeing many a drunken (English) hen party or stag party in Warsaw, or Pre WW I (English) colonists in dividing up the world.)
David_W
Rising Star

Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not.  I think Britain is like your mother, it's alright for you to say things about her, the weathers terrible, the food sucks, footballers are overpaid etc.. but if anyone from another country says that, heck no, Britain's food is the best in the world, the weather is wonderful, not too hot, not too cold, footballers... yeah, no defence for that.
Britain (I'm Welsh btw, living in Cornwall - keeping it Celtic! :p) has a long history, some of it isn't good, some of it isn't bad, but all in all we're not really a bad country to live in, we don't have to slap on sun factor 507234 cream to prevent the sun from turning us into a kebab, we don't get killed with any regularity by the local wildlife and best of all we take the parts of other cultures and (apart from the obvious suspects) welcome and enjoy being introduced and assimilating other cultures into ours.
I think the problem these days is that the world has changed, 60 years ago we were a world coming through two world wars, coming to terms with the A-Bomb, 20 years ago we were waiting for Russia and the US to get jiggy with it and end the world, these days the most kids have to worry about is who'll win the X-Factor.  Things like that change your perception of where you live, after WW2 we were bankrupt but proud to be British, we'd helped defeat the Nazis' and sure, people didn't have two pennies to rub together but they were proud of who they were and the country they were in, so proud they voted Churchill out of power even though he was quite popular.
We are still a great country, we're an old country, we gave the modern world so much from global pollution with the industrial revolution, to the Spice Girls, I just hope we, as a country, can adapt to how the world changes, we can no longer be seen as a major global concern, we're just a small country on the edge of Europe that's going to either be assimilated into the collective EU, or break off and be assimilated into the United States.  But am I proud to be British?  I guess that depends on how you define "being British" these days.  I'm happy to let people know I'm British, although when people say "ohh, you're English?" I say "No, I'm Welsh" and they continue to call me English even though I point out I'm not English.  I'm proud to be Welsh, no doubt, and I do love my country, although sometimes I want to leave, maybe go to Japan.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm scottish by birth and decendancy.
YES I'm proud to be British.
PC or not, it's better then being foreign. Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
hadden
Grafter

Often relieved.
Sometimes pleased.
Occasionally disappointed.
Rarely proud.
Community Veteran

John,
Why 'Rarely proud'.
I know my post was a little OTT but do we not have a great country (forget the politicians of the day please).
Our climate is temparate, our beliefs are tollerant, our taxes are crippling....oh, I see where you're coming from.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I am proud to be English but I don't enjoy living here very much now as it becomes less English everyday. If was younger I would leave.
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
Why 'Rarely proud'.

Unfortunate word... "rarely".
I meant it positively, in the sense of those special occasions when "proud" seems more appropriate (to me) than the other emotions Smiley
Community Veteran

Thanks John,
I was worried for a moment there...
Call me 'w23'
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."
(Samuel Johnson)

Community Veteran

Samuel might have had a point in the sixteenth century but I can't agree today.
We should all be proud of our heritage (despite the efforts of politicians to make us otherwise).
We do have a great country (or 'collective kingdom' for all Welsh, Scottish etc. natoinalists as I do not wish to exclude these valuable members od the United Kingdom) and we should be proud of it.  This includes all British born people of any percieved race or religion (where else are such freedoms afforded) but I must draw the line at British residents who speak out against the British nation or armed forces.
Call me 'w23'
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I should like to speak out about our corrupt politicians who send the Army to kill peasants in distant lands.
Not surprisingly, the inhabitants support those who would inflict a certain level of causalities on the invader (us).
By the way, I am a British resident - lived here all my life Grin - not sure why the residency criterion is necessary though.
I think that if the Army got into their aeroplanes etc and flew off to Haiti to help with the relief effort, it would be much more useful.

N/A

As expected, a mixed bag of thoughts and feelings. However, there some positive comments which is good in a current climate of negativity.
TBH I don't think about my nationality a great deal, although I have a very strong affinity with Yorkshire, being born and bred here, plus all my family being from the county way back.
I love our matter-of-factness and odd sense of humour, often self-deprecating.
It's all too easy to fall into the trap of apologizing for ourselves and our past and yes, a lot of it isn't very good.
Conversely, we have given a lot to the world and have much to be proud of.
The programme in question was interesting because out of the 3 subjects, two of them had found acceptance and a home within the indigenous population and had actually experienced more racism and rejection in their own communities. The third had experienced this but had eventually become well integrated into his own black community.
It says a lot for our tolerance and acceptance of people who are different and of those who are disabled.  We have come such a long way in the past 50 years.
BTW I totally disagree with that Johnson chap. Maybe it reads differently because it has been taken out of context (I wouldn't know) but as it stands I think that it is irrelevant.