cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you one of the lucky million?

Fixes: 124

Are you one of the lucky million?

A million Britons DON'T need deodorant because their sweat doesn't smell
We all know someone in the office who could do with washing under their arms, but more than a million lucky Britons could go without deodorant... and remain daisy fresh.
These fragrant folk don't produce smelly B.O (body odour) due to a genetic defect, researchers say.
Despite this nearly eight out of 10 of them still wear deodorant because it is seen as the 'cultural norm'.
People who carry the variant are also more likely to have dry, rather than sticky, ear wax and checking this is a good indicator of whether or not a person produces underarm odour.

I haven't used deodorant since my teens and my wife says I never smell even at the end of the day. Now I know why - I have dry earwax eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Are you one of the lucky million?

Never used a deodorant in my life, and no complaints so far.  Smiley
Or maybe everyone's too polite?  Undecided
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Have come across a small number of people who have awful breath and they seem to have a bad habit of standing very close to you when speaking. Halitosis can be caused by a number of different things but I assume that people coming into contact with them, no one is going to tell them their breath smells.
The same thing might also apply to body odour ?
Razer
Grafter

That'll be me, then. My brother was the same. I had always put it down to being vegetarian (yes, everything we eat does exude from us in every way). I had a habit of not wearing deodorant because of sensitive skin (it can burn me and cause spots) and because of asthma (perfumes choke me), and have several times had people saying 'mmm, you smell lovely. What are you wearing?' ... which is kind of nice, I suppose, given that I was wearing no form of perfumery. I also happen to have dry earwax most of the time, but not always. Well anyway, now I know why ... I'm defective.  Crazy
Fixes: 124

Quote from: Razer
I'm defective.  Crazy

But in a nice way Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Razer
Grafter

Smiley Mais oui.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
no one is going to tell them their breath smells.

I had a colleague years ago who really did have the worst breath you could ever smell. I mean it really was offensive but he wasn't the sort of person you could say it to - 1) because he was an untrustable stirrer and 2) because he was an untrustable stirrer. One day he actually asked me "mate, be honest with me cos someone said something.. does my breath ever smell?" - What would you say to a question like that from someone who's tried to stitch you up?  Lips are sealed Exactly. Not my problem to deal with.. it's down to the boss.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Some are not so lucky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylaminuria
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Razer
Grafter

That doesn't bear thinking about. I remember first reading of that syndrome and the poor souls who have it.