Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you a cash carrier?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Are you a cash carrier?

I must admit I'm not much of a 'cash carrier' these days relying instead on my bank card, and the Mrs to have some loose change in her purse for things like those (grrr) car park charges. 

According to this article in today's Guardian though it is a problem for those on a low income and aged over 55, yet fitting neatly into both of those categories I don't have one. Maybe I should conform to what the media is telling me.

Remember the early days when we'd worry that our cash card would not work or be accepted at the checkout - or even worse, these things.

81i7F+ef9SL._SX466_.jpg

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
11 REPLIES 11
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Are you a cash carrier?

Bank's have never liked cash. It earns no interest. Dealing with it needs security measures, and requires room for storage. However I agree people who need to use that payment medium should for quite some time be catered for. Over time cash will become a rarity and Sweden is well ahead of us to a cashless society. In time the old and challenged will be no more to need protection.

TBH, I think the worst danger in cashless is totalitarianism tempted to control by making dissidents non-persons; stopping such from access to systems.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Luzern  Couldn't agree more. I do use online banking, phone apps less so. I'm not even comfortable with contactless. I know someone whose forgot their card in a shop - easily done. Within 30mins, it had been used 3 times. No real security there at all. Just a bit like cash but without having to faff around. And if you carry more than one contactless card, oh joy, the errors on the card reader because it's picking them all up - my wallet containing them was more than 400mm away from the reader.

But I do like to carry some cash. I've been in the situation where my card was rejected. 'I'll pay by cash then'.......... And life carries on as normal when the banking system crashes. No need to run around like a headless chicken. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Out of interest, when was the last time your card was rejected? I really cannot remember the last time mine was... and that's not because I have plenty of money in the bank! Chance would be a fine thing. 

Strat
Fixes: 506

I have 7 grandchildren so carrying some small change seems mandatory.

Ice-cream vans generally don't accept plastic and as mentioned above there are still plenty of cash only parking areas.

I currently have £6.70 in coins in my pocket and a small number of notes in the wallet for 'unexpected' expenses while out and about.

Having said that, most of my daily/weekly outgoings are on a card.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ll be honest and say that it’s been many, many years since I carried cash nor do I recall it ever being rejected, But I do remember going to a local supermarket doing my shopping and when I landed at the till was met with a sign saying cash only due to 'system error' so I had to leave it go to the hole in the wall down the road and return as I’d no cash in my pocket to pay for it there and then.

Also, selfishly, I feel put out when I’m told there’s a spend limit on card transactions!

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I still carry some cash, bur not that much for such as papers at the local Tesco Express and community centre canteen, when at classes. £50 lasts quite a time. Of course, as an ex bank worker cashless and contactless hold few fears.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman wrote:  Out of interest, when was the last time your card was rejected?

Last year. Smiley Went to use it, only to find when it got rejected, that the card had a crack going through one part of the plastic.One thing the banks like to keep quiet on is there is nothing to stop people asking for a non contactless card. The default seems to be contactless. I've used it once and then it asked for the pin! Cheesy

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

That's what happens when you keep the card wallet in your back pocket. Wink

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Electronic payments are clearly preferred for a lot of things these days but cash does still have its place too.

Abolishing cash would be the dumbest of dumb things to do.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,178

In the UK I don't carry cash and have paid as little as 60p on Apple Pay.
In Germany where I have been working it's impossible not to carry cash as large number of businesses, including big chains, don't accept card or only accept certain types of card.
Stores will happily accept 50 or 100 Euro notes without blinking, which is in stark contrast to many places not accepting £50 notes.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DE5T1NY
Rising Star

Hello Everyone

I prefer cash while shopping out doors, did come in handy the other week when the banking system failed in the supermarket, jumped the checkout queue by about 6 others all with no cash to pay with. Some shops assists in Scotland do need to check with other staff once someone like myself hands them a £5 or more Ulster bank note, or and Bank of Scotland, a £50 Ulster note would have them running to the nearest bank.

Online shopping paypal then debit card.

Good luck