http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42864685

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 05.53.35.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 05.52.14.jpg

7 REPLIES
Jonpe
All Star
Fixes: 4

Re: Are you a Shrinking Violet ?

I understand the pound shops use this 'trick', i.e. you buy something that looks identical to an item that's more expensive in another shop, but you're actually getting a slightly smaller size which in some cases works out as more per millilitre or gramme.

The large supermarkets sometimes have "special offers" that are not so special, e.g. M&Ms where both the smaller and larger bags are on special offer but it's cheaper per 100g to buy the smaller size, and Frosties where the 500g boxes were labelled as "special offer" (buy two for £x) while in fact it was cheaper per 100g to buy the 750g boxes right next to this offer at the normal price.  Still the more expensive 'special offer' ones were nearly sold out while there was plenty of the cheaper larger size ones on the shelf.  And then there is this gem from one of the more exclusive, or at least more expensive, retailers:  "£2.99 each, two for £6"  (a kind of BOGOME or Buy One Get One More Expensive).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've been frequenting Poundland while I've been on my maths & english course at college, and they do indeed have their own range of popular brands, but, in some cases, they are actually decent value, but of course, the other ones are pretty atrocious when compared to regular versions, you just have to pay attention to what you're buying to make sure you're not ending up out of pocket... Smiley

Jonpe
All Star

@twocvbloke  Yes, the idea seems to be that as long as a certain proportion of their stock is good value, customers will overlook the odd item or two that would cost less elsewhere rather than go to another shop, queue up to pay etc.  However, less vigilant customers can end up with a basket for which the total cost would have been lower in one of the large supermarkets.

For some reason the price of Shredded Wheat Bitesize and (not so much now) shaving foam seems to fluctuate quite a lot so I tend to check before I buy.  One day, being disappointed that Tesco had run out of their special offer Shredded Wheat, I thought I'd pop into the pound shop nearby just to have a look around.  To my surprise they had Shredded Wheat Bitesize at an even better price than Tesco's offer.  However, and maybe it's just my imagination, there seemed to be a lot more crushed shredded wheat at the bottom of the box than I'm used to finding.  Could it be that the 'quality' was not up to the standard demanded by the powerful supermarket giants and therefore this product ended up with a 'budget outlet'?  By the way, before you all rush to your nearest pound shop looking for Shredded Wheat Bitesize, they now only stock the full-size Shredded Wheat (who can eat more than two?).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

On the plus side, I bought three blackcurrant and two gooseberry bushes for £5 from Poundland... Grin

Community Veteran

Yep @Jonpe they do, what I believe is called a "loss leader".

So you'll see what you'll think is a bargain, advertised on-line or posted through your door. Or in the papers.

It'll encourage the customers to visit the shop for the "cheap" item, and once you're already there, the chances are you won't walk out with just that one item. You'll have others with you which is where they make the profit from.

St3
Aspiring Champion

I dont really eat sweets/biscuits but i do love cheese xl crisps and i think those have been reduced recently Knuppel

Jonpe
All Star

Since you mention crisps, I was about to buy a 250g bag of Kettle Chips in Tesco's yesterday when I noticed that it was priced at £2.49 while the 150g bags were on special offer at 99p each.  So 2x150g for £1.98 or 250g for £2.49?  You decide.