cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we the only EU members that take any notice of the rules?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Are we the only EU members that take any notice of the rules?

Perhaps I shouldn't even need to ask!
Anyway i just found this on the daily mail website:

Now can someone remind me... how is it that France managed to start dropping bombs recently but for us to do so we need to get approval from other COUNTRIES leaders?
Can someone explain that to me in a clear easy to understand way? I think I'm having a thick day..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Are we the only EU members that take any notice of the rules?

It was Labour under Milliband who obstructed the last Commons vote to bomb Syria. Now we need a new vote and the Tories are afraid that Labour plus the SNP might bring down a motion.  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

I'm not too sure of that now. It's reckoned that up to 60 of Comrade Corbyn's MPs could vote with the government.
Tory whips have asked Labour MPs to write to them if they will vote with the government.
Cameron would not necessarily need to go to Parliament now that there is a UN Security Council resolution but I think he is using the situation to attempt to weaken Corbyn.
Community Veteran

I don't see why Corbyn is seen as such a threat. Nobody seems to like the bloke.. not even his own supporters... and he was clearly the best of the worst they had to offer!
Seems a bit of a pointless fight really IMO.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

This sums up what I think about Corbyn. He's made a career out of being in the loony left of the Labour party and hasn't got it in him to deal with serious issues like the defence of the nation.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-under-mounting-pressure-as-unison-leader...
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

A good article and when it comes from someone like Prentis Labour need to take it seriously. I am not a Labour voter but to answer 7up I think there were a number of good MPs that would have made a good leader. Comrade Corbyn (or is it Compo)  is good for the Tories though.
One name I would suggest is Chuka Umunna. I know he pulled out of the leadership race but certainly someone who could lead Labour and challenge the Tories.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Now can someone remind me... how is it that France managed to start dropping bombs recently but for us to do so we need to get approval from other COUNTRIES leaders?
Can someone explain that to me in a clear easy to understand way? I think I'm having a thick day..

What has this to do with the EU?!
France has parliament approval for the air strikes in Iraq and Syria, the UK only has approval for air strikes in Iraq. The UK does not need approval from anyone else.
David_W
Rising Star

After our somewhat morally and legally dubious invasion of Iraq, the complete mess that happened in the middle east due to it, the Arab spring etc.. the UK is generally a bit tired of war and a bit tired of the government going to war "because we want to", Cameron was asked by Obama to join in the bombing in Syria and Cameron was within his legal right to start a bombing campaign (he doesn't need to put it through parliament at all) but he went for the vote, lost the vote and we've sat back and not dropped £100,000 bombs on Syria.
We are still tired of war, especially this muddled Holy War, we don't want it to escalate and have to put boots back on the ground, it's already seen as a "West vs Muslim" type of war in some corners and the more we fight against Muslim countries, the more we alienate moderate/liberal Muslims and feed into the fake Muslims "we're at war, come help us repel the Western invaders!".
Just to be clear, ISIS are not true Muslims, they do not represent Muslims but there are impressionable Muslims out there who see it as a war against their religion and so will travel to Syria to fight, now we will, pretty soon, end up bombing Syria, we might even take back some of the footholds for ISIS, but it's going to be another long, drawn out war.  What is the point on spending 2% of GDP on military spending when we're spending half that on single use bombs?
The Paris thing was horrible, what we don't need from that is the same knee jerk reaction that Bush took after 9/11 and just start bombing the heck out of everyone, we need this time to debate it over and work out the best solution, not a simple "okay, lets go drop bombs".
Community Veteran

If you tune in to BBC Parliament this afternoon you will hear the Government's Defence Review. A further vote will be taken in Parliament on the UK joining the war with IS in Syria. I think it will get the required majority this time round.
Most of the Muslims in the UK support our stance against IS. They do not have any sympathies with IS and want to see them removed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No one in their right mind could have any support for IS hardly a day goes by without then carrying out some atrocity.
Why those who have been brought up in our society go out to fight for them is beyond me.
Sooner we join others to take all necessary action to stop them the better.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH

What has this to do with the EU?!
France has parliament approval for the air strikes in Iraq and Syria, the UK only has approval for air strikes in Iraq. The UK does not need approval from anyone else.

Well as the united states of europe continue to tell us what we can and cannot do (while doing whatever they want themselves), I understood that also applied to our military forces.
Community Veteran

Well as the united states of europe continue to tell us what we can and cannot do (while doing whatever they want themselves), I understood that also applied to our military forces.

The is no single EU foreign policy, nor is there a European army. Each member state retains control over its armed forces.
The EU may seek to align a collective stance towards a country (e.g. Iran), but this is purely on a diplomatic level.
I'm not quite sure why you thought the EU were telling our military forces what to do? How many member states do you think are involved in action against Syria or Iraq at the moment?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

How many member states do you think are involved in action against Syria or Iraq at the moment?

more than there were 2 weeks ago and still not enough !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
more than there were 2 weeks ago and still not enough !

Which new member states would that be then? The French have been bombing Syria since September.
Community Veteran

I'm not quite sure why you thought the EU were telling our military forces what to do?

I'm not quite sure why you thought that?
I never said i thought they were telling our forces what TO do, I said i thought they told us / our forces what they COULD do.
There is a difference.