Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we ready for the post-Covid world.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Are we ready for the post-Covid world.

It's been well over a year since those lockdown rules and the requirement to wear masks was introduced, but are we ready for a post-Covid world after July 19.

Although that date only applies to England and Scotland a month later, here in Wales many expect we'll follow suit with the former. 

The majority have been jabbed and many more have been doubled jabbed, but the danger of infection like Covid itself is not going away and for vulnerable groups such as elderly and to my mind at least, precautions will still need to be taken so I for one will still wear a mask when in unknown company, will still avoid going in shops and supermarkets, and there is not a cats in hells chance of getting me on a bus anytime this year - with or without my free pass. We'll still order on-line when we can and the Mrs will still 'mask up' when going into those shops and supermarkets.

Herd immunity by another name is how I see it, so it ain't all over yet folks.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
33 REPLIES 33
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Are we ready for the post-Covid world.

I won't be wearing a mask after the 19th, I should be exempt anyway because I'm disabled and have a form of Autism IMO, but of course BoJo the Clown says no...

Do you see? Cheesy
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

I'll keep the mask on. I've got use to shaving only once a week....

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

I won't be wearing a mask after the 19th, I should be exempt anyway because I'm disabled and have a form of Autism IMO, but of course BoJo the Clown says no...

Angry

Just don`t go around breathing,  on, or near,  other people then.... 

alternatively... don`t breathe.....

we don`t want your germs.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Well whatever we decide infections, hospital admissions and deaths are certain to rise across the board even for those of us that have been double jabbed especially for those vulnerable groups. 

So it's steady as she goes for me, and I'll keep up with hand sanitizing even after places like those supermarkets stop providing them at the door, and I'll keep wearing that mask where needed. 

It'll all fade over time and post Hancock many have already called it a day, but then it was heading that way regardless of any government advice.

What was it those wannabe women train drivers used to say, "our rights to choo choose!".

I'll go get my mask.😃

Thomas A. Edison
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 12

I will be wearing a face covering for as long as I feel insecure under the forthcoming rule changes.

I am one of the vulnerable group who shielded for around 15 months. There has been plenty of data regarding the positive responses to the vaccines with around 95% of recipients showing a good antibody response.

Sadly for a number of patients, like myself, who have a blood cancer the antibody responses to the vaccine are very much lower. Blood cancer UK have awarded £800,000  for research into the effectiveness of vaccines in those with blood cancers.

In my case, I have myelodysplasia, current research is showing only a 46% response to vaccines. I understand that there is no readily available data for patients currently in remission. 

So being in receipt of both AZ vaccine jabs, I cannot yet be sure that I am protected by the vaccine and having had my spleen removed I am doubly at risk of infections and not just from Covid.. I take antibiotics daily and my haematology consultant has plans to change my antibiotic regime come September or October when the flu and general infection season  begins.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I can see lots of trouble ahead.

Person in a shop queue wearing a mask. Someone right behind them without a mask coughing spluttering. It's not going to end well.

I can't see the reasoning behind not keeping masks in enclosed spaces. It's not a big hardship just keeping that part for a while longer. Just in case all the other "relaxations" result in things going pear shaped.

Around here a lot of shop staff have already stopped wearing masks. Their management probably went by the original "relaxation" date.

I know many will say we have to learn to live with it. I have no problem living with it, it's the not living part I'm concerned with.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

One problem I can see is that the vaccination rate is particularly low in London and we not only live very close together, travel on crowded trains and buses etc. but also come across more people arriving from abroad than those in other parts of the country.

I certainly don't intend to change my behaviour significantly straight away.

I notice one of the Danish princes and a younger man, presumably his son, are at Wembley; did they have to self-isolate for five days or whatever after arriving in the UK or does blue blood kill the virus?

MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Meh, if they're Royalty they'd be exempt from the mask law anyway due to their Diplomatic immunity.

Do you see? Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Diplomatic immunity, is not the same as Covid19 immunity, though....... Roll_eyes

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 58

Didn't Harry have to do his bit in isolation before he could do his thing last week? Seems to me some people don't do a lot of thinking before they post! Roll_eyes

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

The future Queen is currently in self-isolation…..,

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@MrAllen2021 wrote:

I won't be wearing a mask after the 19th, I should be exempt anyway because I'm disabled

Many people could say the same however many will still wear masks because they're sick of this virus getting out of control and ruining lives. I don't like wearing them but I do because it's sensible and i want to do my bit to protect others. You won't see me refusing to wear one because i don't like them.

You'll soon reach for a mask if you end up in hospital and get wind of covid patients being in the same building. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I've checked and it was the Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark and their eldest son.  Denmark is on the amber list so arrivals from there are required to quarantine for 10 days in the place they are staying and take two COVID-19 tests (on or before day two and on or after day eight).  The day they arrive in England does not count towards the 10 days.  (Source: www.gov.uk)

I noticed Prince William was alone and there was plenty of room either side of him but there was someone sitting quite close behind him although it's difficult to tell from the angle shown if they were in the row right behind him or at the required social distance.   

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I noticed also the amount of space they were giving young Prince William at that England Belgium match,. It was as if he was at Wembley all by himself. No mask on either. 

Infections are going to rocket I reckon which is why the wise and the immunity weak need to take extra csre. That jab is only said to be effective in part for six months. Have I got that right? 

Fingers crossed here for a second jab alongside that flu one in the Autumn for the over 70s. 

As for the match Sunday.... beer stacked, rattle ready, bobble hat on.The Mrs will be cheering for Italy of course, but I can cheer louder for.Harry (not that one) England, and St George!

Thomas A. Edison