cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we headed for an income tax hike shock?

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 19

Re: Are we headed for an income tax hike shock?

Heading towards a fascist state actually.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Grafter

I'm most definitely not in favour of a communist or fascist state just fairness and common sense as its truly a special breed of person that will go out to work knowing that they may not return from their shift as while everything carries an element of risk, these jobs are a darn sight riskier than most.
Highlighted
Grafter

The construction industry has more fatalities than any profession you specified except may be the army. So should the construction industry get the same pay and retirement age as the police?
Highlighted
Grafter

I'm talking about public sector here.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

i'd like to have seen an instant moratorium slapped on lending and borrowing for six months while people get their financial act together.
instead of foreclosing on mortgage defaulters, come to some arrangement whereby they pay what they can afford at present and increase it as their circumstances improve.
keep businesses alive by all involved agreeing to a 10%, or whatever will work, pay cut until their circumstances improve.
governments have so little imagination and they don't bother to ask us what we think.  perhaps they should.
Highlighted
Grafter

Trouble is, businesses rely on short (be ir a 30 day payment terms from a supplier) and long term credit (a company buying a new van) to function, when these are cut off the business has to dig into its capital and assets to pay staff.
If your customers also rely on credit such as a card and they stop buying you have zero money coming in, so unfortunately, we are indeed pretty much dependent on banks like it or not.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: artificer
i'd like to have seen an instant moratorium slapped on lending and borrowing for six months while people get their financial act together.

So no house sales.
So no need for the banks (lending and borrowing is what they do).
Would they let me access my savings?
instead of foreclosing on mortgage defaulters, come to some arrangement whereby they pay what they can afford at present and increase it as their circumstances improve.

If they foreclosed, they couldn't sell (no mortgages)
keep businesses alive by all involved agreeing to a 10%, or whatever will work, pay cut until their circumstances improve.

Make the working class pay for the bankers scams. Brilliant idea.
Especially as a lot of people took a 100% pay cut when they were/will be made redundant.
A lot of people made a lot of money out of these so-called toxic assets - where are they now?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: techguy
I'm of the opinion the ones more worthy a high salary are the ones that put their lives on the line, soldiers, firefighters, ambulace crews and front line police

Let us not forget those who do the jobs that make life tolerable' bin men, sewage workers and many others that the fat-cats would sooner not acknowledge, but we all need.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

Why are we spending time in Afghanistan, Iraq - I thought the country was short of cash for nationalising the banks with.  Grin
Just causes a few dead soldiers.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I must admit to wondering how much longer "we'll" be in that particular hell-hole. History is littered with the armies that have failed to have any effect on the Afghans on their home ground.
No doubt modern armies will always have technology on their side in open theatres, until the Afghan retreat into their hills where they are virtually untouchable...ask the Russians.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Grafter

Think we should bring our soldiers, sailors, pilots home from both countires and let them get on with it as there comes a point where the people of a country have to stand on their own two feet.
I watched the film Charlie Wilson's War and by all accounts he was instrumental in arming the Afghans but when the war was won he wanted to build schools but the Congress apparently blocked everything he tried to do.