cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we done here?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Are we done here?

Many members have voiced their discontent with the new forums and seem to have gone incredibly quiet.

In the "Would you like SMF restored?" thread, it seemed that everyone posting in there had accepted it wouldn't happen.. but some people did agree they'd like it to. Obviously those who have abandoned us are unable to answer their views but the fact that we have deserters, does make it seem that the current forum is not liked.

In the last week i've seen very little activity here in General Chat. With non subscriber forum accounts now being available I'd have expected to see more people posting than ever but it seems the opposite is true!

So here's another question: Do you think this new forum has killed the community we had?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
36 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Are we done here?

Yes 7UP , it is very quiet compared to the old forum, maybe its what PN wanted to recive less negative posts ,so the can say customer stats have improved .

Like i have mentioned before there are TOO many settings , its ok for long term forum members but for a newbie its daunting and will put them off posting here Embarrassed

this forum is NOT user friendly for first time users .

ok yes its a nice shiny new forum but the Bugs and visual layout is terrible PN has Borked it Ticked off

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sadly I think it has, I for one used to regularly go to chit-chat every morning, now I don't, The text in Grey I find hard to read. It is like trying to read shadows. I just havn't found how to set the default font colour and size.

Just popped in this morning before sharpening the chain saw, we took down a DED infected old elm tree yesterday (5 ft in diameter), have some serious logging to do, just going to slice into pies today, then get the splitter out next week.

Community Veteran

It's just too much like hard work so I'm spending much less time here. As I said before, "It's a forum Jim, but not as we know it".............. And there's little sign that the real useability issues are going to be fixed, e.g. lack of contrast (and no alternative themes), excessive white space (and other garbage) and generally just plain cussedly different (compare and contrast to BT forums).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

journeys wrote:The text in Grey I find hard to read. It is like trying to read shadows. I just havn't found how to set the default font colour and size.

@journeys Have you missed this thread, then ? ? 
https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/Removing-the-White-Space-on-this-forum-and-others/m-p/132...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@shutter

yes missed it, thanks for the link, does it work with the new forum layout, see most of the posts are 2009?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Shutter , while your style works Thumbs Up  when  a new forum user he/she will not like having to trawl through this forum to add a code to make it usable Sad

When it should be sorted by PN not by members

Honestly it beggars belief that a forum has to be made workable by members who also find the Bugs and errors that lithium omitted to fix on the beta stage Sad  Yes i do know that some were not on the closed testing BUT honestly its terrible how Forum EXPERTS Funny have made such a mess on PN behalf

Community Veteran

Yes, it was written to cover this new forum.... text is black... and the background colour can be changed to whatever you want...  it`s a long thread, and a few variations have been made... but the one in the first post has been modified to take into account some of them and works very well...

download/install Stylish for firefox ( addon) there is another name for the one for Chrome..

There is another , completely different version,  ( different style and layout )   for visually impaired members ... here..

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/High-Contrast-CSS-for-the-Community-skin-for-F...

Community Veteran

Whilst I applaud the massive effort made on the visual elements I totally agree with @rongtw that this is a problem that should be fixed by PN, and for ALL common browsers (using standard techniques) requiring at most a selection from a drop-down list by a user.

Community Veteran

@rongtw  I agree.... however... anyone who reads my original thread.. doesn`t have to "trawl" through the forum... I specifically entitled it.... "Removing the white space on this forum"... so that it could be easily searched and found . 

At the time of posting... it was not specifically aimed at new members, as, probably, they would not have noticed, with this new forum, the amount of white space, and considered it to be " the norm " and therefore accept it for what it is...

I have been using it for a few years, just because of the "glare" from the white background on the old forum, and it seemed that a lot of members were not "knowing" that they had the power to change it.

Community Veteran

Yes, and no !... Yes, I think that this new style forum has stopped a lot of people from posting, and I think one of the reasons is because it is so different, and not so "user friendly"...

Somehow, when reading any particular board, I feel "isolated" from the rest of the forum boards, .

. I`m not sure what it is, but changing the names, and putting Linux and Techy stuff in with the Windows board, seems to have had the effect of putting all the rubbish in one bin.... and not separated, so that the information can be recycled properly, as it used to be on the old forum.

( I`m not saying that Linux, or techy stuff, or windows is rubbish.... just a way of describing how putting it all together, it seems to have lost its impact.)

Having them all together, also makes it more difficult for members who posted a problem to check back quickly to see if there has been any response... ( yeah I know you can get emails... but then you get 200 others that you aren`t interested in, 0 )

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I agree Shutter Forum  definately USER UNFRIENDLY Evil

and yes the first thing i had to search for was where to turn off Emails ! Sad In my view default setting is wrong !

I know it will all get fixed EVENTUALLY but on past performance PN fixes are somewhat slow Roll eyes

But in the mean time the forum will become a empty place Cry

Community Veteran

I've been trying to come to grips with the new forum but so far find it isn't user friendly. Hopefully someone at PN will be looking at the comments and addressing the situation.

Community Veteran

But I suppose the whole point of this lithium forum is so that someone from plusnet won't be looking at the comments and won't be addressing the situation.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Now I am going to ask what must be a daft question to some people but why was the forum changed, if it worked, which it did why change it ?