cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there gritters in London

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Are there gritters in London

Why is it when there is a bit of snow in London or the south east generally there is such a fuss, particularly fueled by the media of course.
All the TV news and radio news stations have it wall to wall with all their reporters out the snow telling us how bad it is.
When there is snow elsewhere in the country the fact is probably reported at the end of the bulletin as something like  "and finally there is a snow storm up north somewhere, but its OK everyone, its not snowing in London so we will be OK.
Yes we know it's snowing, just get on with it!
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,081

woo hoo it's started snowing again  Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Grafter

Snowing again here and gone dark - just taken Holly the Cairn for walk and arrived back in time.  She likes the snow and does her own version of snowploughing......................... nose in snow as she walks.  So you get a pattern behind her of paw and nose marks!!  Looks really funny when she is doing it  too. Smiley
The roads are clear here though just parts of pavements still have some on.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Yep been snowing all day here .. nice view outside my living room window.
Couple of days working from home I think. If the trains are running tomorrow I suspect they're going to be seriously screwed.
Highlighted
Grafter

Yay! More snow!
Highlighted
Grafter

My 2 kids will be very envious of those of you with snow. In deepest darkest Warwickshire we only have a dusting with very light snow flurrying about in the wind. No snowman for my 2 tonight Sad
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Santiago
Don't tell me you're another of these "the news never talks about us up north" lot.  I seem to remember not so long ago, the news was full of pictures of the north of England and Scotland under snow (not to mention almost 6 months of national news about flooding, followed by after the flood, followed by still after the flood.  The latter 2 had nothing much to say except here's where the flooding was 6 months ago, and look, it's not flooded any more)  I'm not saying it wasn't important news, and I'm not complaining about it (well except the last lot), but some people have very short memories (or only remember the bits that fit in with their personal prejudices)
As to "it's only a bit of snow " comments you see around, "why can't we just deal with it, everyone else does".  This is the heaviest snow for 18 years.  We're simply not prepared for snow this serious, because it's not worth spending millions of pounds on equipment that will be needed once every 20 years or so, by which time it's obsolete or broken.
Why can't we all just get outside and build a snowman, have a snowball fight with the kids (or someone else's kids), and enjoy this once in 2 decades event!  Grin
John  
Highlighted
Grafter

We've had bad snow up here in Scotland in the past so we know what you must be going through in the south. That's why I'm going to do some fundraising and send down some aid parcels. It sounds absolutely awful down there at the moment and we want you to know that you have our support and sympathy during your ordeal.
By the way, when you get your roads cleared and the trains are running again, you should all come up and enjoy the skiing. The runs are the best they have been for a fortnight.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: hulls
Why can't we all just get outside and build a snowman, have a snowball fight with the kids (or someone else's kids), and enjoy this once in 2 decades event!  Grin

I agree John. I was fortunate enough that last time we had a lot of snow (albeit not as much as today) I had a lecture at the Royal Holloway (my uni at the time), the campus of which was in Surrey, so I took my camera along and after my first lecture of the day spent an hour wandering around taking photographs. I really wanted to do the same thing today, but where I live is an absolute dump - even the snow doesn't make it look pretty - and the lack of public transport meant I had little chance of getting anywhere that couldn't be reached on foot. Sad
Highlighted
Community Veteran

That's very generous of you geewizz, I could do with a holiday, but are you sure you could put us all up.  I just looked and there are now 10099 members on the forums.  That's a lot of tatties.  Wink
John
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,081

Quote from: randpwar
My 2 kids will be very envious of those of you with snow. In deepest darkest Warwickshire we only have a dusting with very light snow flurrying about in the wind. No snowman for my 2 tonight Sad

Send them to Cov, my kids will be out building a snow man soon and it's still snowing  Cheesy
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: hulls
That's very generous of you geewizz, I could do with a holiday, but are you sure you could put us all up.  I just looked and there are now 10099 members on the forums.  That's a lot of tatties.  Wink
John

Gin a body meets a body
Comin thro the snaw.
Gin a body feeds thon body
Will he mind it raw?
C'mere laddie, wha's yer daddie?
Bide wi me if ye dare.
Ye cannae share ma bed wi me.
Ye'll hae tae hae the flair.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Fair enough, I'll bring a sleeping bag  Grin
John
Highlighted
Grafter

Grin In that case, I'll set a place at the dinner table for you. Smiley
Highlighted
Grafter

Thanks Adiewoo but the 12 mile or so journey will not be necessary; I work in Warwick and live in a village a couple of miles south, it's chucking it down in Warwick now!!    Kids  Grin me  Sad I've got to walk home