Re: Are there gritters in London

What are they playing at snowball fights?  Tongue Roll_eyes Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Part of the airlines' problems is that they can't get incoming flights in so they don't have aircraft to board.  Many have been held in Europe.  Stansted is managing to get flights ready but they are very delayed. This weather will cause a knock-on effect for a number of days, and more snow is forecast  Sad
Highlighted
Grafter

The Stansted PR man just this minute been on local radio.  Had to stop clearing about 2230 and some plane were diverted, runway reopened at 0630, still only two planes taken off, he said one of the troubles was that some of the planes were not at Stansted but elswhere from Last night
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Part of the airlines' problems is that they can't get incoming flights in so they don't have aircraft to board.  Many have been held in Europe.

Where the snowploughs have cleared the runways and taxiway, have de-icers ready  Grin
Having worked in Scandinavia - it's quite a site to behold - three really wide snow ploughs going down a runway in formation, clearing about 5 to 15cm of snow in about 10 to 15 minutes
Highlighted
Community Veteran

West Lancashire reporting:
Slight dusting here, about an inch I guess (although I didn't measure it)
Nice blue skies now, sunny and cold
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Where the snowploughs have cleared the runways and taxiway, have de-icers ready  Grin
Having worked in Scandinavia - it's quite a site to behold - three really wide snow ploughs going down a runway in formation, clearing about 5 to 15cm of snow in about 10 to 15 minutes

Yes, I know what you mean.  I flew into JFK where the runway had been cleared and we had snow piled up on either side to heights of 6-8'. It was like entering a tunnel.  We always seem to be surprised with adverse weather conditions here.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

And there's more coming down outside my window.
Travelcard runs out today, and I won't be rushing to renew it Grin
Highlighted
Grafter

I  am not quiet in London, but I grit my teeth at the antics of people on the roads Smiley Smiley
Highlighted
Grafter

Somehow Peter, I wouldn't expect you to be quiet anywhere. Tongue
Highlighted
Grafter

Its just that I have been around for a long time, went to School in the 47 Snow, had to young babies in the 63 snow, tried to drive a three wheel Messchersmit bubble then and in the 70's
Highlighted
Community Veteran

For what it's worth, apparently some buses in London are now starting to run - no indication on the TfL site of which ones though. Lots of disruption to trains around here though... I noticed that the National Rail site said that 'services [...] are being delayed [...] because of [...] broken down trains caused by the poor weather conditions' in relation to my local rail company (NXEA) but, frankly, their trains are always breaking down anyway - they don't need snow to make them do so.
Highlighted
Grafter

Suppose it makes a change to leaves on the line  Smiley
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Well Boris has said on BBC news that the Congestion Tax is suspended for today (shame it's not indefinite really).
Not been announced on their site, I guess it will be updated later.
Nice working from home, am able to have the telly on Smiley
Highlighted
Grafter

I once watched the council queston time on iPlayer (think they show it regularly on Parliament)
They were giving him quite a bit of stick

Felt quite sorry for the poor guy as I think a lot of the people in the council think he's rather silly mind you he's got to be better than Red Ken.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Here's a link to a site that puts a funny slant on today's problems.
http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/02/02/51924/uk-plc-closed