cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there gritters in London

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Are there gritters in London

I also don't understand why an airport like Heathrow can't cope with some snow. Don't they have ploughs and sweepers like other international airports?
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
I really wanted to do the same thing today, but where I live is an absolute dump - even the snow doesn't make it look pretty - and the lack of public transport meant I had little chance of getting anywhere that couldn't be reached on foot. Sad

Hmmm don't live in Milton Keynes do you?

Sounds like a perfect description of the place to me, I'm staring out looking the snow on our garden fence and wishing it was anywhere else but here so I do sympathise.
@geewizz, yes we cant cope with snow at all down here, when we had a bit of snow in 2004 there was widespread anger as the gritter drivers were parked up in the car park of a McDonalds eating hanburgers according to someone who rang our local radio station.

Highlighted
Grafter

Had more snow here................
Highlighted
Grafter

I've heard of putting the cat out but thought dogs loved the warmth unless they are Huskies or St Bernard's
Highlighted
Community Veteran

All the many countries around the world where it snows every year, must have a real laugh at the UK in times like this for completely falling apart under a few inches.
We are still waiting for our share here in NI.
Highlighted
Grafter

Don't think you have to look that far Sean, the Scots are already laughing.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Busy day at the office:
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Hope he's not imported labour Barry Smiley Smiley
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
I've heard of putting the cat out but thought dogs loved the warmth

Holly likes the snow............. apparently Cairn Terriers do.  They have double coats so are prepared for the weather!  She does not worry about being cold - it is me, shivering, standing on kitchen doorstep waiting for her to decide to come back in!  She has been out more today just for a wander round the garden than normal........................
Barry - I am so glad you had a really busy day at work today.  The snowman is wonderful!
Highlighted
Grafter

call that snow, just got back from my hole in the ground job, had at least 5 inches of snow, temp above freezing at the moment d=but due to drop again, roads should be lovely, snow on car roof after 30 mile trip
Highlighted
Grafter

It started snowing here yesterday and, because of the high Easterly wind, we've had a mixture of snow hail and freezing rain, and I saw the first gritter this evening. Nice to see they're thinking ahead.................for next year.
On a lighter note. Am I the only one who feels the urge to arm myself with some yellow paint, a black marker pen and change the first two letters of "Gritting" whenever I see one of the lorries Tongue
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Erm, yes I think you are.
But why would you want to change it to Spitting? Crazy
Highlighted
Community Veteran

No prizes for guessing what the tie and nose are made out of  Smiley
B.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Santiago
I also don't understand why an airport like Heathrow can't cope with some snow.

As I said earlier - taking off in Scandinavia etc , fly to UK, and the captain comes on the PA - "sorry we have to hold in the stack while they clear the runways at Heathrow - estimated delay one hour."
More than once we had to divert to Schipol - and a night in a Amsterdam hotel at expense of SAS  Smiley Smiley
They should have charged Heathrow for it all.
Highlighted
Grafter

Think I'll have to get a four wheel drive if this is going to become commonplace