cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there gritters in London

Community Veteran

Are there gritters in London

Terrance Wogan has just said he didn't see a single gritter on the M4 and in London  Shocked
Do you have any ?
Up here in rural Perthshire - it is not nearly so bad as SE England - but our B road is already clear  Cool
Not that we normally get very much snow in these parts - snow ploughs / gritters just used to spread salted grit
120 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Are there gritters in London

I saw one last night, as I had to walk home from my parents when I eventually realised no buses were running Angry
Well, the good old UK knows how to deal with snow.
I've spoken to a few people, and currently there are no South Eastern trains or London buses running at the moment.
A lot of the train companies sites are down.
Looks like I'll be working from home today.
Should start a thread titled "Snow in London, what's it like where you live .. and are you going into work?" Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well in Chelmsford Mal, 3 inches, all buses running, apparently we have snow blower, havnt seen one, all gritters were out last night, Stansted runways have been cleared
Community Veteran

There are no buses running in London today and the airports are disrupted.  Guess I'll be staying at home today.  Just measured the snow in the garden here in Essex and we have 5" and it's still coming down heavily. Sad
Fixes: 104

So jealous, we have about 1.5cm here, gritters were out in force last night.
I'm hoping it's still like this tomorrow so I don't have to get to London  Wink Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

75% of flights from Stansted have been cancelled and the train service into the airport has also been stopped.  There will be a lot of people stranded there this morning.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Just down the road from here is one of the main gritter depots for the Herts section of the M25 (so our roads are usually well gritted!)
I got a call from my boss this morning at 06:10 to say the school I drive kids for was closed so not to go in today...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

6" here in Slough, and recommending to stay indoors unless travel is essential.
It's only a bit of snow!
B.
Community Veteran

Just over 10 miles North of Slough (in the Chilterns) and at least 6" and more coming down at present.
Main roads gritted but covered in compacted snow; side  roads just be careful and don't try anything steep!
Managed to get my daughter to the station (3 miles each way) but she's only got 2 stops in about an hour (tube - Met line).
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

About 4" of soft snow in North London and transport links severed.
Headless chicken time.  Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: adiewoo
So jealous, we have about 1.5cm here, gritters were out in force last night.
I'm hoping it's still like this tomorrow so I don't have to get to London  Wink Smiley

Well at least you won`t get on the wrong train out of London....... there ain`t none ! ! !  Grin  Grin  Grin
James
Grafter

We've about an inch or so, more expected later in the heavy variety Cheesy
techguy
Grafter

Looks like MK grinding to a halt like normal but work is open according to our intranet (darn it never happens when I'm actually due to work)
Suppose all the trainee convicts teenage kids will be out on the streets.
Fixes: 104

Quote from: shutter
Well at least you won`t get on the wrong train out of London....... there ain`t none ! ! !  Grin  Grin  Grin

Every snow cloud has a silver lining  Wink Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

seems that ryan air are playing at Stansted, Runway clear but only two planes have taken off