cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there gritters in London

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Are there gritters in London

Noooooo.  Haven't they told you that global warming means that we'll never have snow again, and the icecaps will melt and flood Canvey Island?  Crazy
John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@mal0z
I know what you mean, same has happened to me, the weak link was always the UK airports.
Highlighted
Grafter

Was thinking more of a Hydrogen powered one John that can turn into a boat but that might be too James Bond  Grin
Highlighted
Community Veteran

In a few months time we'll be complaining that it's too darned hot - hopefully Grin Grin
Highlighted
Grafter

Would rather be cold than the oppressive heat we get in the UK, its really awful.
Community Veteran

Not me!!  Bring on the heatwave Grin Grin
Highlighted
Community Veteran

It's not actually that cold.  It's only around freezing.  We had much lower temperatures a couple of weeks ago.
John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

In Britain, Snow is more likely when temperature is below  +3 - it doesn't have to be very cold. Just depends on other met conditions.
If it's very cold like a week or so ago, and conditions were not conductive to precipitation ( water forming from clouds ) then you will not get rain, sleet, hail or snow.
And forgive me - my limited training in met was many years ago and I can't recall all the details.
Highlighted
Grafter

Unlike you I am staying in UK for my Hols, well nearly, got a short spell in Sligo Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

For anyone commuting into London, my train company have finally given details of their 'limited' service tomorrow (South Eastern trains).
I suspect it's going to be a similar story for other companies, so while not wanting to reiterate the advice the media have been giving all day, but "check (the internet) before you travel", and I nearly forgot that old chestnut "don't travel unless it's necessary". So all you need to do is ring your boss and tell him/her you're not coming in because you don't think it is essential to get there Smiley
I think I'm going to work from home tomorrow, and see how things are Wednesday. Won't hold my breath, but I hope it might be slightly back to normal.
Highlighted
Fixes: 477

It took me 3 hours to drive 5 miles from the centre of Sheffield to my home.
I was thinking about it on the journey and it's a combination of weather and high numbers of vehicles on the road these days compared to 25 years ago.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 82.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Heard from the weather forcast earlier that it's coming up north tonight.
So may well affect PlusNet tomorrow.
I don't know what the public transport is like there, but if it's like London (i.e. shuts down completely) then I'd imagine staff may have problems getting in.
Highlighted
Fixes: 477

Plusnet lives in Sheffield Alex and all major routes were gridlocked tonight and it's getting worse.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 82.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Ah ok, I didn't realise things were that bad there.
The guy I work with at the moment lives on the outskirts on Liverpool .. and while I realise that's a fair way from Sheffield, he was saying that it had only just started to snow there this morning .. while we were covered.
Looks like you'll be getting it tonight then.