cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the PC brigade just making it up now?

Devonian
Grafter

Are the PC brigade just making it up now?

They really do hate Clarkson don't they?
They must be incredibly jealous!
He's a normal bloke, talking like normal blokes do, who happens to have a dream job that has earn't him a few quid.
The PC Brigade (Key board warriors with no life) are now making up racist terms!
Since when has saying a bridge has a slope on it been racist?  And what makes it worse is people are reporting it!  (Irony on my thread I know)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2582833/Jeremy-Clarkson-accused-racism-Top-Gear-series-...
9 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Are the PC brigade just making it up now?

Comment from a Thailand resident says it all TBH

donross, Chiang Rai, Thailand, 5 days ago
I live in Thailand, know the bridge. Yes it slopes and it wobbles if you drive over it. Someone needs to get a life here and read the Oxford dictionary before letting fly. Great show and great publicity for Thailand. Don Ross, Bangkok

donross, Chiang Rai, Thailand, 5 days ago
I live in Thailand, know the bridge and yes it has a slope and it wobbles too when you drive a motor bike across. Get a life, there is a genuine meaning for the word and Clarkson was using it quite correctly as per Oxford Dictionary, don ross, Bangkok Thailand.

Just noticed
RWT, York, 5 days ago
I lost some fairly lucrative freelance work because someone objected to me saying "manhole" instead of "access hatch". If someone wants to be awkward about a word nothing in the world will stop them.
Community Veteran

Never ever heard "slope" being used as a racist term.
But what does anyone expect now as racism is virtually a boom business.
Some people somewhere are rewriting the definitions of the entire English dictionary.
And then using any available public forum to push these definitions.
More iffy words = More money opportunities
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I had this out with the missus last night who then looked up slope on the urban dictionary and found it is a bit negative towards those of a certain race. She then looked up racist which again was pretty vague though she thought it was clear. Then I asked her what race she was.. and how someone would be racist towards her. Is it based on her skin colour, religion, accent.. Her reply was immediately yes to all of those answers. My reply? So you're actually four different races then?
Suddenly the term "racist" didn't seem quite so clear to her. As I said a while back in another thread, racist used to mean saying or treating someone offensively based on their skin colour however these days it's been expanded to cover all sorts of weird angles so that virtually everyone anywhere can be accused of racist.
Sadly there are far too many people willing to oblige and call someone racist for saying something which was not meant to be offensive. Quite a few on this forum too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Yep, I had to look it up http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slope Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Devonian
Grafter

I could add chicken to the urban dictionary and describe it as a racist term if I like... that website is as reliable as wiki in my opinion.
Fixes: 47

At my age I'm in no position to disagree with the definitions that appear on that site.
The word 'sick' for example has an entirely different meaning from what I understood.
Thanks to having kids less than half my age I'm learning.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Devonian
Grafter

Somebody told me I had a sick van the other week, I walked around it and couldn't see the problem..  Huh
True story.  Grin
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

25 years ago all the kids used the word sick to mean wickedly awesome, that was largely confined to the 11>16 bracket though now it seems ot have been expanded and anyone under the age of 25 missuses it constantly, the main difference is half of them are still in the mentality of school children having yet to leave the education environment and live in the real world where such missuses are frowned upon, except in current society its "bad" to berate someone for misusing words in case you get dragged into a tribunal....

and slope was a term bandied about in late 70's early 80's era Vietnam films and pretty much stayed in those films.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just looked it up and saw it in black and white...Ooops...err...print.
World has gone mad. My best mate, of nearly forty years, is Trinidadian and about as black as you can get. His opinion on it all is that it's big business for poor lawyers.
He is adamant that he IS black, NOT coloured!
And in an argument if someone were to say to him, in anger, ""You black bas##rd.." he wouldn't class that as racist. It is no different to a tall person, in anger, calling someone a "short ba#&£rd"...you just pick on something that's totally different physically to yourself when you are angry.
Oh, and on subject of immigration, his opinion is.." If you have a house that will take twenty people, you don't invite two hundred to the party-then let gate-crashers in". A great guy and friend.
As for Clarkson,I don't like the show..the guy is quite insulting at times to the common man, but hides it in humour and people laugh at him. Usually the people he's taking the Mickey out of.