Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the French taking the Michael?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Are the French taking the Michael?

Are delays at Dover being caused by the French taking the Michael I ask myself.

Post brexit, it just seems to much of a coincidence that they do not have enough of their guys dealing with the huge amount of expected traffic coming through. Sure, there are security issues but if they think it is so bad as to cause a fourteen hour delay at the port, then why have they not just closed their own land borders?

The French authorities are playing silly games methinks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36877177

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
14 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro

Re: Are the French taking the Michael?

Holland spat his dummy because may refused to enact article 50 immediately, the clamp down is on people travelling to france  not those leaving (those they wave through without even performing cursory checks leaving it to the English customs people to sort out) they claim its down to anti terrorism stuff but realistically its only the one entry port and they started it the day the summer holiday traffic started coincidentally the day after May told Holland to stop grandstanding she will do whats right for the UK not whats right for his ambitions on retaining office in the upcoming elections....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Minivanman
Hero

It was on those leaving I was referring to, but you are right about the French checks being less that cursory - that's been my experience at least having travelled over many times - albeit via the tunnel usually.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

whilst this might be one of the shorter routes into Europe I guess a number of other people with their own transport will decide to use alternative ports to sail from in future.

What a nightmare, even worse if you have young children and limited supplies, hope there are some thick hedges along that route.!

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

even worse if you have young children and limited supplies, hope there are some thick hedges along that route.!

Are we there yet.Smiley

Community Veteran

The Department for Transport and the Home Office were warned by the Port of Dover last week that there would be a problem because of the state of emergency in France, which is still in force. Nobody seems to have taken any notice even though we could have provided extra staff much earlier to assist security checks. The French police are understandably busy with other stuff.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

My sister went over to France last night, only a couple hours wait, got through the checks fine, arrived at her destination safely this morning, it's just people being stupid and piling in during the day and causing the delays, if they spread their travel time out, there wouldn't be so many delays... Smiley

(that and there's plenty other ports to use to get over to France!!)

Community Veteran

Long queues at Dover, Europe is isolated.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I would have thought the French would be concentrating more on the other counries which border France rather than restricting those coming from the UK.

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed. Crazy2

nanotm
Pro

and that's rather the point, the changes of an attack being mounted from  the UK with escape routes being so easy to control are negligible on the other hand punishing the British holiday maker for having the temerity to want to spend their hard earned on the continent after the country voted out under the guise of increased security concerns is what its all about.

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nadger
Rising Star

Must say that these are worst delays we've seen in 51 years of taking car to France.

We have been to France post Brexit vote and there were no security delays. That was 13th July and day before Nice attack.

We did get delayed last December on A16 at Belgian border just after Paris attack.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Of course under Schengen France cannot close its borders to its neighbours, but I would expect it to have some sort of surveillance short of that. The UK did not accept Schengen, so France and other countries with ferry ports or any other entry point have the right to check UK entrants. We mustn't allow europhobia to take hold. IMO that seems to what is happening unfortunately.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

Francophobia surely? Wink

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes, but as a variant of theprincipa; virus!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.