cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are our police just thugs with a warrant card?

Community Veteran

Are our police just thugs with a warrant card?

Police officers 'smashed OAP driver's window and dragged him out of car' after he was stopped for not wearing seatbelt.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=744_1281039479
58 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Are our police just thugs with a warrant card?

Well, that is truly astonishing. They did not appear to give the man time to get out of the car.
The only thing that I can say (and it is not in support of the police) is that I cannot understand why the driver did not pull over sooner.
If I had been pursued by police with sirens on I would have stopped immediately to see what the problem was.
Can't help but feel that there is more to this but I note that the officers involved have been suspended from duty so
it will be interesting to see what the outcome is.
Community Veteran

our gestapo does seem to be getting rather keen.  the way they yanked that old man, shaky on his pins, out of his motor, was rather disturbing.  more slapped wrists and an 'awfully sorry old boy'?
Fixes: 47

Maybe they were pulling him for his illegal number plate also Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The Police IMO do a good job in general but one incident like this destroys any goodwill they build up with the public.  Yes, he had a few problems with his vehicle but the action taken by the Police was just OTT.
Interestingly, the evidence of the incident is provided by the video in the police car.

What's the full story.
What is his background.
Is he known to the police and if so what for.
It's not a good idea in my experience to judge a situation without knowing all the facts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Community Veteran

If the man had any background I feel the Police would have stated this to try and defuse the situation.  It will be interesting to see the outcome of the investigation.

We'll see if the results of the IPCC investigation are reported.
I'm not defending the actions of the police but merely looking from both sides.....as a judge should do. Smiley
Community Veteran

What happened to "Good Evening Sir can I see your driving licence" or Good Evening Sir will you step out your vehicle while we ask you some questions?"
These police thugs are getting away with murder literally (Ian Tomlinson). Where is the accountability?
These guys terrorise an old man in his car for a couple of traffic infringements but their colleagues in Northumberland take a week to find an armed murderer in a little village. The police in Cumbria were equally inept in stopping  the gun man there. They sure know how to pick their mark.
nadger
Rising Star

It's interesting to note that he didn't make one driving error whilst be followed by the patrol car.
I can't remember the exact details of the medical declaration I had to make when I reached 70, and started getting 3 year licences, but driving after a stroke sounds dodgy.
Perhaps they suspected him of being a local " Mr Big"
The fact that they left the camera running doesn't say a lot for their IQ levels.
He was found guilty of not wearing a seatbelt, failing to stop for a police officer and having tinted car windows which did not conform to legal requirements but cleared of failing to stop after an accident. He also admitted having a registration plate which did not adhere to regulations.
The pensioner was fined a total of £235 and ordered to pay £300 towards prosecution costs.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Excuse me but they did first do a polite check and were issuing him with a ticket when he drove off, followed for 17 miles by a police cars with siren on, only stopped when a stinger punctured his tyres
He was subsequently found guilt of two offences
Community Veteran

I agree with some of the others, I'm sure there's more to this than meets the eye.  Notice as well, that when he did get out of the car, he left the hand brake off, so the car rolled back into the police vehicle. Surely if he thought he was about have another stroke, and needed medication, the thing to do would be to tell the police that, and let them drive him home, or call an ambulance.
I'm not condoning police over reaction, and video like this doesn't do the police's image any good at all, but I'd love to know the whole story.
I suspect that the driver will get a huge civil payout (from the taxpayer of course), and continue to break the law with impunity in future.
John
nadger
Rising Star

I'm totally opposed to the ott police action but it does seem that the driver should have to undergo a strict medical examination before being allowed to drive again.
Driving a 2 ton vehicle  ( or any vehicle) where there's a possibility of him having a stroke shouldn't be allowed as he could easily kill other people.
Community Veteran

The old man was clearly in the wrong on several counts for which he was prosecuted and rightly so. My point was I didn't think the action taken by the stormtroopers was appropriate. Also do the police pay to have the car repaired
And of course while these "policeman" were converging on the old age pensioner for not wearing his seat belt, the local burglars, drug dealers and general yobs in their area were happily going about their business unhindered.