cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are driving standards slipping?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Are driving standards slipping?

Just bring my lad back from nursery.. heading for home, gone down a road with one side having cars all parked along it and traffic trying to come the other way. Up ahead is a gold coloured Jag who has screwed up and is reversing so I've stopped at the end of the parked cars and waited for it all to clear but nowhere near the kerb - I'm near the white line and waiting.

So then another car comes along behind me and decides it isn't going to wait but go straight past me and force its way through. I wait for the car coming the other way and then go through myself.

The pushy car has then gone up the road towards my place and turned right at a roundabout however instead of going around the thing clockwise, it's then proceeded to cheat and turn right by just cutting across the roundabout the wrong way - anti clockwise - irrespective of any other vehicle potentially approaching from that road.

Am I losing the plot or are people deliberately becoming less and less caring about anyone else on the roads?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Re: Are driving standards slipping?

Don't think so.

Recently I was on a bus, so there must have been 5-6 cars queuing at a red light.

Bus driver sees it, moves to the opposite side of the road and goes through on a crossroads to save a bit of time. I couldn't believe it and it was quite scary.

Champnet
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

In this part of the Country, East of Central, we're getting used to Vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road, going the wrong way around roundabouts and generally ignoring the motoring rules not thought to be applicable.

Community Veteran

Time to privatise the Road Traffic Police and let them keep the money from fines. The more bad drivers they catch, the more police they can afford to catch more bad drivers.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Champnet
Aspiring Pro

If there are any Road Traffic Police left they're going to have fun explaining your speeding ticket for being 1 mph over the limit.

salmo
Rising Star

I've got to agree. I know I'm not perfect and everyone makes the odd mistake but the standard of driving by people of all ages is slipping.

On roundabouts more people seem to be staying in the left hand lane despite taking the final exit. A couple of people I know do it. One argues that he is turning left off the roundabout even if it is the last exit and another says she doesn't like changing lanes. Indicating seems to be optional and I'm convinced one make of car hasn't got them.

On the M62 recently a motorist in the middle lane realised that he was missing his junction slammed the brakes on coming to a stop before cutting across the left hand lane to just make it. Cars following him were not impressed and sounded their horns only to be met with a hand gesture. Luckily nobody was tail gating.Whilst on motorways why do so many people stay in the middle lane even when the left hand lane is clear?

I have the misfortune to be caught in a school run very occasionally. There is a set of lights with the right hand lane for turning right only yet the number of parents that get in that lane and then cut across.amazes me. They know the road but their time is more important.

I have fitted a dash cam. It can be a double edged sword of course and wonder if I have changed my driving style.

Community Veteran

Yes in London I've noticed it is becoming a common trend for people to install cameras including cyclists and motorcyclist, one of the models is the Go Pro.

I think i mentioned if before on here, but one scary moment was when I was on a motorway with my parents. Left lane, got stuck behind a car which was doing probably 30 or less. Traffic conditions were fine, so how do I get round this person? Traffic in the middle lane was whizzing past me at usual speeds. I had to wait and look in my rear view mirror to see if it was empty enough to move, and then put my foot down (big time) in the middle lane.

I was considering using the hard shoulder to overtake. Not something I'd usually do. Didn't in the end.

That person should not have been on the motorway of course. You can assume someone speeding is dangerous and I am not saying they're wrong, but someone driving at that speed when the road conditions are fine and all the other traffic isn't can be just as bad.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Agree about the driving but it also applies to other things, many people have become more selfish and have little or no consideration for others, it's all about what they want.

In some cases it's just lack of awareness and not thinking about other peoples needs.

How many times do you see some idiot race past you, brake sharply and then turn left ? Or race past you only to catch them up as they are stuck behind slow moving traffic.

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

AlaricAdair wrote:

Time to privatise the Road Traffic Police and let them keep the money from fines. The more bad drivers they catch, the more police they can afford to catch more bad drivers.

Yeah, coz I'm sure that wouldn't be open to abuse....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Driving standards aren't slipping, it's just that more rear end exits are being allowed on them... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

DaveyH wrote:

AlaricAdair wrote:

Yeah, coz I'm sure that wouldn't be open to abuse....

Video footage doesn't lie.

To be fair I think AA has a good idea. Road laws are being broken daily, we don't have enough police to keep people sensible and more and more idiots are taking risks. Why not let the private sector straighten this out? We already have contractors operating litter wardens who are doing really stupid stuff, let the private sector make a proper difference for once instead.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

7up wrote:

Why not let the private sector straighten this out?

Probably cos G4S, Carillion, ATOS, etc.? Privatising something doesn't always work... Shocked

Luzern
Seasoned Pro

driving standards slipping? Can't see how they can be! Their cars haven't been around for decades.Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Who polices the police.

Are their driving standards so good they can judge us?

A few examples out of hundreds.

Watching a police car pull out into a main road ignoring a no right turn sign. Yes they did look guilty as I was looking in their face from a few feet away. The galling thing about this was that the road was closed off a few months later with the council saying too many drivers were ignoring the no right turn sign. The only drivers I saw doing this were police and delivery trucks.

A recent one of having to brake hard because the police car in front did, just before turning right and then finally indicating.

And the still classic of getting overtaken by a police car on a dual carriageway all lights flashing only to see it parked a mile up the road outside the chippy. Not the only time.

Police also use phones and other communication devices while driving. That's ok as they get "special" training. Many still end up in ditches or wrapped around trees though.

That said I think we could do with a lot more of them than the almost zero number we have now. But before being allowed in a police car they should all have to pass a "behaviour" test. Anyone reaching the heady level of "arrogant git" should never be allowed to set foot in a police car.

Community Veteran

I think I did mention it before on here (maybe this thread) but I was at a junction with red lights.

Poilce car arrives, put the blue lights on (which were off when it arrived), went through red light and subsequentially turned them off a few seconds later.

My sister was with me and said “That can’t be right?”.