cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are all these extras really ncessary?

Fixes: 125

Are all these extras really ncessary?

Samsung's 'future-proof' voice-controlled television
It has an expansion slot allowing new kit to be added to boost processing performance and introduce new features.

A built-in camera allows users to browse the internet with a wave of their hand and to change channel by speaking in one of the more than 20 languages that the set can "understand".

A facial recognition facility also allows the set to recognise users, pulling up the relevant selection of their favourite apps.

Not sure about everyone else but I just want a remote so I can control what channel I am watching. An internet-connected TV is useful (I already have that) but gestures? I can image the channel changing every time a politician comes on due to the gestures being given Cheesy
Voice recognition - I don't want to talk to it - just watch it Angry
What do other feel about this?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

15 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Are all these extras really ncessary?

Quote from: Mav
Samsung's 'future-proof' voice-controlled television

That link doesn't specify if this gadget can receive a television signal, still less actually put it on screen.
Nothing about television "channels" either.  Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Before long you'll have to bow to the "one eyed god" to entice it to display  a TV show.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 105

Why not? People don't think twice about upgrading a pc. Sadly I don't think that it will get too many updgrades. Nice idea though.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think its quite a cool idea actually. Now we have flat screens there isn't a great deal more that can be done to the physical object itself so now it really depends on the features instead.
If you will be able to upgrade your TV with expansion cards like you can the PC I see it as a good thing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I wonder how many of the functions will actually be used Undecided  We were talking recently about smartphones and how few of the functions actually get used.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Would like to see a device where I can Skype (Video, Voice and Conference) via a HD television /with split screen mode and get both quality voice and sound – world wide.
The technology probably exists, but the bandwidth doesn't.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" is a novel that makes use of androids (created beings that are organic, and are essentially identical to people). During the course of the novel, the reader is often moved have feelings about these artificial beings, and then forced to compare their feelings toward the "real" humans. The mood organ is a fascinating way for Dick to accomplish a kind of dehumanization of the fully human characters, blurring the distinctions for the reader.
Here is another quote that shows how the mood organ is used:
    'So I left the TV sound off and I sat down at my mood organ and I experimented. And I finally found a setting for despair… So I put it on my schedule for twice a month; I think that's a reasonable amount of time to feel hopeless about everything...' How much time do you set aside each month for specific moods?"
My favorite setting for the mood organ is 888, which creates the desire to watch TV no matter what is on. I seem to be able to manufacture whatever neurochemicals are necessary for this mood without resort to artifice, but, gosh, it would be nice if everyone could.

Fixes: 47

This brings to mind the videophone debate and the line "I can't take that call as I haven't done my hair and face yet" Roll eyes
I use facilities on my Android phone that weren't available on my Nokia 3210 and I wouldn't be without them now.
Voice recognition will have to improve to replace the good old remote and I could imagine the poor TV blowing a fuse when faced with a husband and wife shouting at the TV...Eastenders....Top Gear.....Eastenders.... Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That depends on whether it recognises the command "Ignore wife"! Grin
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I use facilities on my Android phone

I'm still surprised at the basic features missing on my android "smart phone" like call answer and cancel buttons or a way to change font sizes.
Wasn't the telly hand waving control shown on the latest series of NCIS on their big screen?
Community Veteran

Surely you must be able to answer calls and then disconnect, or are you talking about something else?
Community Veteran

Of course you can answer calls by faffing around with the touch-screen but I'm talking about the convenience of having actual dedicated buttons (like a phone) for the purpose so you don't have to squint in the sun, or take your gloves off, or even look at the phone.
Fixes: 47

I know what billnotben means.
Calls have become another menu item rather than the primary function of the phone.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yes that's exactly it. If Sony can produce a phone that's more like a dedicated games console then surely they could produce one that's more like an actual dedicated phone?Smiley
Though I suspect the advent of the touch-screen and the disappearance of real buttons has been a very successful cost cutting exercise for mobile manufacturers.
------------------------------------
It would be good if a truly future proof TV could be made but "future proof" is a phrase often used in the advertising blurb describing many PC's. And we know that just isn't true.
Replaceable parts/cards would go some way to make the TV last longer but that's about all. A bit like the proverbial old American fridges. So many still around because they were designed so faulty parts could easily be replaced instead of the "modern" trend to junk the whole unit.