Grafter

Are You Skint??

i have  £5.10 to last  next  2  days,,,,,,
    shall i  read  a  book!! Crazy
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Are You Skint??

Apart from a mortgage I have no debts.
I have a very low income - the wife is the main earner and her income just about covers our living expenses. I've adapted to living within my means and while I don't have excess cash floating about, I wouldn't class myself as skint either. I'd say I had no money worries.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Picbits, maybe you could get a charitable handout of free money from a poverty charity? I hear their chief executives are not short of a few hundred thousand pounds, per anum.
Fat Cat Chuggers : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10224104/30-charity-chiefs-paid-more-than-100000.html
Community Veteran

I'd be better off on Job Seekers Allowance but technically as I'm self employed and also a carer (unpaid) I live to my means.
My income last month just about covered my Plusnet line rental and broadband charges.
I don't however expect the state to support me - I could probably claim disability for various reasons as well as a host of other benefits but I'm proud to say that everything I have I've worked hard for Smiley
The next couple of months looks like they could make up for the recent "drought" - I've had a customer ring up with some work for me (designing electronic stuff) and I'll be getting a tax rebate at the end of the year.
Community Veteran

@picbits, I commend your attitude.  Far too many people expect the State to support them.  I would,however, say that if you are entitled to certain benefits you should look into them. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Thunderclap
Picbits, maybe you could get a charitable handout of free money from a poverty charity? I hear their chief executives are not short of a few hundred thousand pounds, per anum.
Fat Cat Chuggers : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10224104/30-charity-chiefs-paid-more-than-100000.html

Unfortunately charity is big business these days and thats why I don't donate to any of them now as it's so hard to find the genuine ones and when you do think they're genuine if you dig deeper you'll often find that they are hiding their true financial status and have many well paid staff and tons of spare cash in the bank while spending little on their real 'mission'.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

There are some very worthwhile charities.  I support RNLI, our local air ambulance and our local hospice. I would not support some of the international charities such as Oxfam.
Community Veteran

I've always been keen on animal charities who help animals in need etc and I used to donate to the RSPCA until I had a trip to one of their HQs one day. It was newer and more secure than most police stations. Pan / Tilt CCTV cameras all over the place, office building looked 10 years old max and to be honest I felt rather uncomfortable being there. You know me, I don't trust the state a great deal but compared to the RSPCA HQ I thought I'd be safer at the local nick it felt so hostile. I had a reason to visit out of hours and within seconds of arrival there were at least six cameras pointing at me and following my every move. Not an animal in sight either and certainly none to be heard so I had to wonder why they had such a new and expensive looking facility.
Now I will donate to the smaller animal charities run by real in-touch people who are genuinely struggling to make a difference to the lives of animals.
As for the other big charities, I don't donate now. I personally feel that if they want to make a difference they should get on and do it, not be paying people mega money while their donators are struggling and the donations are falling. I've also found it hard to swallow the fact that they pay people to go fund raising in the high streets in what can be quite an aggressive manner. Some of these fund raisers can be hard to get rid of and border on harassment.
Thunderclap
Grafter

PCBITS - Respect to you. And good luck with your new project.
Quote from: Sprite
Unfortunately charity is big business these days and thats why I don't donate to any of them now as it's so hard to find the genuine ones and when you do think they're genuine if you dig deeper you'll often find that they are hiding their true financial status and have many well paid staff and tons of spare cash in the bank while spending little on their real 'mission'.

In my opinion, charities paying corporate salaries to attract corporate skills instead, attract the civil service 'old boy' who's just retired with a Queen's honour for doing nothing for decades; he wants to do charitable work, but not just shaking a tin outside Poundland.
I agree Sprite, it's hard to find a charity that's not infested with self-worthies who skim their percentage-max from the income account. No wonder charities need unethical high pressure door-to-door 'sales' teams (of earnest  young foreign students possibly breaching their visa conditions) when, they have all these needy executives to support - plus that big HQ in central London.
A charity still acting like one : http://www.shelterbox.org/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Charity for me starts at home, family comes first, then friends and neighbours, then local charities. I don't support any charity that employ a "professional paid fund raiser".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well I have no income at all, £0 coming in every year. What my wife earns just about covers us, our only benefit is council tax, which is REDUCED but not cleared. What she earns comes in at roughly £1/hr over what she would get if we were both unemployed, but then we could claim extra benefits, since we would get income based JSA  Lips are sealed
As to charities I only support one main one - ME - and one small one, Border Animal Welfare a local charity that looks after dog's & cats. Charity shops are a joke these days, the goods are MORE expensive than shop ones. I am all for supporting by buying 2nd hand but not when it is DEARER than the same good in MrT's  Crazy
Community Veteran

Fortunately I am retired so at least I know the state pension will go into my account every week, no mortgage but almost no savings.
My main past time is walking in the Lakes which costs me nothing other than petrol, I Know almost every single spot where it is possible to park for nothing  and with the gear I wear I probably look like some down and out but fashion is not something that ever bothered me.
The current job situation is dire, even those with a degree often find it hard to get a job and as other countries are willing to do the work cheaper that us it can only mean things will take some considerable time to improve. Both my daughters work for themselves but the pay is erratic and there is no pension or other benefits available when you are self employed.
I Wish I could offer you some positive advice but I guess you will have tried all the usual angles.
Sadly these days honesty does not seem to be the best policy as can be seen from the numerous news reports of those in trusted positions who are on the fiddle.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I went BACK to uni in the early 90's to get a degree, since I couldn't find work then either.
So after 2 years (accelerated due to be being so smart  Grin) I came out with a BSc, then eventually got a job - not using anything I learned in uni, but based on my older work as a field service engineer.
FF to now and I can't even get a job filling shelves. I have been told to LIE on application forms - or at least leave out the BSc but ... I believe that is unlawful ?
I haven't kept up with electronics and modern smd stuff is just to fiddly for me - I used to do fault finding to component level 20 years ago, but now I can't even see the components  Cry
Round here there is NO industry, it is all retail. But I have NEVER worked in a shop in my life. So at 50+ I am forced to the scrap heap of life  Sad
Community Veteran

I feel for you HB I really do. I always wanted to get into tech stuff but the governments since the 80s have done everything possible to stamp it out in their quest to create NMW paid service industries while sending tech abroad for even cheaper money.
This country used to be the worlds innovator and now we're useless. It's shameful.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: journeys
Charity for me starts at home

It's a pity successive governments don't feel the same way.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation