cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are University Degrees a load of bull....e?

thisoldman
Grafter

Are University Degrees a load of bull....e?

On recent tv programs, unemployed students have been particpants.They had degrees in,
sports tourism
drama
corporate development in 3rd world countries.
On university challenge  (Oxbridge)  several team members were reading for masters /doctorates in
romantic methodoligies
differential linguistic methodoligies
religion and archaeological developments.
Si ,I began to wonder, in these days of austerity, should Universities be allowed to offer courses , whose relevance to the real world of employment, is obscure.
The key question is what is a university degree?
As a former don, I puke every time i read that such and such a university has launched a new course in cultural studies or sports studies or  journalism , or some other nerd activity.
On the other hand, what exactly do you do with an oxbridge degree in philosophy/politics and economics?
My second gibe concerns the widely practiced university policy of "bums on seats", or cheque book admissions.
To hell with the fact that you dont have the requisite entry qualifications for a course. Show us your cheque book.
I used to puke at the number of students on post graduate course, who did not have a first degree in any subject.
Can you imagine trying to lecture on a post graduate course on business administration or psychology or counselling, where none of the students possesed  either a first degree or even an hnd/c from som emickey mouse technical college.?
Let me  tell you a wee secret.
If too many students failed or the university was unable to allocate enough honours degrees, that would not only llok bad for the university, it would also have the university chancellor breathing down our necks.
So staff were forced to pass some of the most amazing exam rubbish
Some staff in Universitoies , in which i worked did not even bother reading course work. They just read the first sentence and the last. If they both made sense, the student got an A. If the first sentence was better than the last, they got a C.
If the last sentence was better than the first they got a B. and on and on the farce went.
Of course Universities have external examiners..    Dont make me puke. If you were a highly paid external examiner , would you seriously criticise your paymasters? Would you hell.
Have you ever wondered why some Universities hand out more first class degrees that other Universities.?
Well  i can assure you its certainly not because they have the most gifted students or the best lecturers.
Its a simple matter of publicity and corporate relations.
So, should Universities be allowed in these days of austerity to offer "rubbish subjects", to accept students onto post graduate courses without any previous qualifications,to offer what is at best described as  vocational courses, media studies ,art, journalism.sport tourism etc etc etc.
To accept cheque book students, especiall foreign students?
No wonder our university degrees are the laughing stock of the country.
27 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Are University Degrees a load of bull....e?

Quote from: thisoldman
or even an hnd/c from som emickey mouse technical college.

Over 50 years ago we spent 5 years ( 2 evenings a week + Saturday mornings) doing  our HNCs in Mechanical Engineering so could be offended by this remark  Angry
thisoldman
Grafter

50 years ago you got what it said on the tin.
today  hnd/c    are not worth much 

you get offended too  easily  still you are old like me Wink
thisoldman
Grafter

On a more serious note id love to know what qualifications plusnet digital care staff possess ?
Fixes: 47

Under the terms of the Data Protection Act...................... Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
thisoldman
Grafter

dearest Strat    do you want me to file a FOI request Cheesy
It was a genuine  request for info
nadger
Rising Star

still you are old like me Wink
Nobody's old like you  Crazy

do you want me to file a FOI request Cheesy

The FOI may work but as an ordinary customer like yourself I really couldn't say Undecided
thisoldman
Grafter

well strat im sure we customers who pay the bills and salaries would like to be reassured that our digital care guardians are qualified and dont have degrees in fashion or some other nerd subject Cheesy
thisoldman
Grafter

Quote from: nadger
   still you are old like me Wink
Nobody's old like you  Crazy

what do you mean dear nadger
nadger
Rising Star

what do you mean dear nadger
It's what you call a " your choice" remark - could either be a compliment or an insult  Wink
thisoldman
Grafter

its neither its just another political exercise in differential semantics Cheesy

degrees in fashion

Having been to an Open Day at PN Towers I very much doubt there is a fashion influence there Wink Cheesy
thisoldman
Grafter

Oh Strat  are you suggesting they dress like tramps  or are you suggesting they use asda or primark? : Cheesy
i cant believe  jamesh or adam or mand would turn up for work in asda underwear Grin
N/A

Although James once wore a suit, by and large they all dress casually but not scruffily. I thought that it was a good dress code as it creates a more relaxed atmosphere.  Many are no doubt graduates and all the ones that I spoke to were very friendly and happy to discuss their work.
As for the original question, I wouldn't know whether there is any truth in it but I doubt it.  Students have to be motivated as they are going to a) get into debt and b) forfeit at least 3 years of salary.  In view of this, the youngsters must work or otherwise they will fail. Also, it is a very competitive world out there so that must spur them on to a large extent.
I was reading in the newspaper yesterday about female graduates who were turning to 'dancing' to make money as they were apparently unable to to find jobs relevant to their degrees.  I thought that this was really bad because the stigma will stay with them forever, plus it does very little for their CV when there is a gap that they cannot/do not wish to explain.  What a poor start to their working lives.  Sad