cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Tesco trying to kill people?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Are Tesco trying to kill people?

Been browsing through the Tesco Christmas "Food to order" catalogue. Looks good. Allergens listed EXCEPT nuts.  In the meat products they don't mention nuts, yet in the desserts they have "May contain nuts".
  Nothing wrong with that except in their listings they have brussel sprouts with chestnuts ( no nuts mentioned there ).
They have Turkey crown with pork and chestnut stuffing (no nuts mentioned there (though gluten, sulphite and wheat are listed).
So how can anyone with a serious nut allergy, like my daughter, take a chance with anything. Their allergen listings seem random at best, dangerous to say the least.
21 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star

Re: Are Tesco trying to kill people?

On the off-chance that you're actually being serious (after all do you really need a warning that something with chestnuts in contains nuts?) if I had an allergy I would look at ingredients lists and warnings on the food packaging itself and not rely on catalogue descriptions.  Your complaint seems to be that the unwary may buy something that's unsuitable, not that they'll necessarily eat it?
If I had a really serious allergy I'd be cooking my own food from scratch of course!  Wink
Community Veteran

I like the packets they sell in my local pub - they say "definitely contains nuts" (which they often don't).  Grin
Anyway, what counts as a "nut" in relation to nut allergies? Peanuts are NOT nuts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Oh come on it is Tesco.. it's not like they actually give a damn about anyone. Sheesh they've been fiddling their own books to diddle their own share values and now they're being investigated for criminal activity  Roll eyes
Is anyone actually surprised that they don't care about nut allergies? I'm not! I've had plenty of run-ins with Tesco over the years and its always the same attitude - militant, arrogant and the customer is dirt. Oddly despite this I'm always the one that comes out the winner when we go head to head however I always end up feeling rather bitter about the offence they cause.
I'm afraid they're not a good bunch.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@ P Watson. The point I'm making, which you seem to most studiously ignore, is that anyone reading the ingredients from the booklet could reasonably assume that Tesco ARE listing ALL the allergens and as required by law drawing people's attention to allergens. These are ingredients and products listed as allergens by law.
However, reading the booklet you realise that products that contain nuts are not clearly marked as containing nuts.  The allergens are listed at the end of the description, in italics.."wheat" "sulphites" etc, but even though there are nuts in the product description, these are not included in the allergens list at the end.
The issue therefore is, if they are not listing them where they are present, are they then present when they are not listed OR mentioned in the product description?
We do of course do the bulk of our own cooking, bread cakes etc as well as meals. The only treat we have is the occasional takeaway from as local Indian restaurant , and they are brilliant. They are aware of our problem and accommodate us without complaint (from us or them). In fact they have quite a customer base of people with nut allergies so it seems they are doing something mutually beneficial.
itsme
Grafter

Does the law apply to sellers?
Thought it was the producers and labelling on packaging.
Community Veteran

Anyone can be allergic to anything.
In terms of food, the FSA requires 14 allergens to be identified - https://www.food.gov.uk/science/allergy-intolerance/label
I think the reason they exclude chestnuts is that it's very rare for someone to have a reaction to them. People with a peanut allergy wouldn't be affected as peanuts are legumes, and those with a tree nut allergy very rarely react to chestnuts.
Here are the rules for tree nuts:
The rules list these as: almond, hazelnut, walnut, cashew nut, pecan nut, Brazil nut, pistachio nut, macadamia nut or Queensland nut and products made from these nuts. The type of nut should be listed and emphasised in the ingredients panel. Other types of nuts, and other foods which are not nuts (even though they are called nuts i.e. chestnuts, pine nuts and coconut), are not named in the rules. Chestnuts and pine nuts are also known to cause allergy in some people, but are not required to be listed under these rules.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I'm allergic to nuts but not ones on that list, it's the kind that post daft replies to serious questions on the forum.
Smiley
Community Veteran

I feel a rash coming on. Smiley
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

i shop at tesco and im also not able to eat nutz, i carry epi pen regularly.... ive never had any issues with products bought from tesco. People have to look into things into more depth for themselfs in order to try and stay on the safe and narrow.
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

Well,I personally don't trust labelling either.
A case in point, Tesco again, a few years ago when the nut allergy thing was fairly new we checked every label -twice!! Checking the ingredients on digestive biscuits, I was looking at the large pack my wife ess looking at the small pack. Same biscuits just pack size different. The large pack said "May contain nuts" , the smaller pack said nothing about nuts. We put them back. My daughter has an epi-pen, we have one at our house too. Her children all know how to use it in case "mummy needs help".
Not a nice affliction.
itsme
Grafter

Were they Tesco branded? If not why blame Tesco?
Community Veteran

Yes, they were Tesco own brand. However,I know for a fact as I used to be a quality assurance technician at a firm that supplied Tesco, that all labelling on Tesco own brand products is approved by Tesco. Any deviation from the approved labelling is not accepted.
(You seem awfully keen to side with Tesco...Do you with for them?)
Fixes: 123

I always find these discussions regarding allergies interesting.
In the mid-eighties I had to take some medication in which certain (quite a few including cheese, yeast extract, alcohol) foods had to be avoided as the consequences could be very dire with death a probability. There weren't the numerous warnings on packaging regarding contents as there are now so I had to use discretion which meant erring on the cautious side. Even easting some food that had been cut with a knife that had previously been used to cut cheese could have been disastrous.
Easting out was a worry so chose wisely including mentioning the issue to the kitchen but I rarely ate out during this period. At home it was a 'simple' matter of ensuring any food meant for me was kept away from others' and vigilance was the order of the day.
The responsibility was mine and I only allowed trusted people who understood the consequences to prepare meals for me. This worked well and I'm still here Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Yes Mav, we do all you did. The issue becomes a problem when suppliers/manufacturers are not consistent with their labelling and policies. When they adopt the pepper-gun approach, and only fully label some products and choose to ignore others, it does rather destroy confidence in them.
And with something like allergies you can't take chances.