cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arachnophobia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Arachnophobia

Spiders capable of jumping more than SIX FEET have been spotted in the UK for the first time

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6071659/Spiders-capable-jumping-SIX-FEET-spotted-UK-t...

Thousands of creepy TARANTULA babies emerge from an egg sac

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6070163/Thousands-tarantula-babies-emerge-egg-sac-gru...

11 REPLIES 11
Fixes: 387

Re: Arachnophobia

You would have thought that they'd jump 8 feet:cheesy:

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

By that logic centipedes would jump 100 ft.

Fixes: 387

What about millipedes:wink:

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

Busting myths about spiders ... and more ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/45224687/what-s-the-truth-about-spiders-in-our-...

Personally, I always check the cornices at the junction between walls & ceiling when entering a room, or settling down for the night.

Every room has a can of Raid available .... just in case.

The first line of defence for spiders is to drop vertically, so I always spray below any spider....

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero

In the 70s when we used hairspray on our long locks, I found a certain brand good for spiders; a quick squirt and they were totally stiff and unable to move, then just pick them up with a tissue and dispose of them.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Cossack ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Looking at the size and description of these "spiders" I'm inclined to think they are just mutant fleas with an extra pair of legs.

2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 2

Never kill spiders in our house, natural fly/mosquito terminators  

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero

@Champnet wrote:

Cossack ?

I used to favour Black Knight towards the end, even held on to a can for a while after its use had become obsolete, but I think the spider-arresting variant was a different brand.

@2u2me  I don't think you'd have enough spiders in your house to keep it free of flies.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

From the first link in post #1 above; 

The species may have never been spotted formally in the UK before, but it is thought to have lived in British bogs for millennia.

I've not spotted any of them in either of our bogs but I guess if they're harmless, i.e. don't have a venomous bite, then there won't really be much to worry about. :smiley:

Unlike in Australia where it can be quite dangerous visiting the bog without checking carefully, e.g. this poor fella 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobPN - All spiders in the UK are venomous.