cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approx speed completely different on each ISP.

Addnan
Grafter

Approx speed completely different on each ISP.

My cousins want to change their ISP because they are on AOL. I was looking for some good packages for them and noticed that speeds that they can achieve are different for each ISP. I mean a huge difference. Plusnet say they can get 9mbs, O2/Be say 19mbs, TalkTalk say 12.5 mbs and Sky say 14mbs. What should they believe?
I thought BT give all ISP's the same info?
4 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Approx speed completely different on each ISP.

If ti's llu then bt, be and tt will all use different equipment.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Pardon Adiewoo ? - I had to look at that several times before I made any sense of it - presumably you mean  BT, BE and TT.
Fixes: 104

Yeah I was on my phone at the time yes, BT, BE and TT will have different equipment and probably different ways of estimation.
Will Moderate For Thanks
prichardson
Grafter

All methods are both reliable and unreliable. The most accurate result these days will often be presented when you line has never been enabled for Broadband.
It is indeed the case that Be and TalkTalk will present results based on the rules they have defined. How they come up with the logic for this, I don't know. BT also have their own logic in this field.
If you are with Plusnet already though, you will find that the result is reflective on information available from your current service. taking into account the current speeds, line length and factors such as an increased signal to noise ration being applied.
BTs speeds are derived from other customers on the product that had similar data to your own, and whilst it is never going to be 100% foolproof (which applies to the other providers data too), it will certainly not be too far out.