cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apprenticeships for the "mature" student ?

Community Veteran

Apprenticeships for the "mature" student ?

Anyone with an experience of this ?
My wife sent over a link for an engineering apprenticeship that she's spotted. After I'd finished laughing, I took a step back and it actually quite appeals. While I have good GCSE results (and a couple of O Levels I took early) I've never really progressed along the educational route relying more on experience and hard work to get the jobs I've had previously.
At the age of 42 having finished my "essential" parental duties I now find myself looking at what I want to do for the next 25+ years of my life and engineering has always been a love of mine.
It turns out that I may have accidentally applied for the job but I lack one of the qualifications required for the position so doubt I'll make it through to interviews unless they fancy someone who doesn't party, doesn't get drunk, can get up on time, has their own transport, decent work ethic and loves working ......
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Apprenticeships for the "mature" student ?

Applying for a job and lacking qualification? If you are not careful you'll end up in management.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I've done the management stint (and the senior management  Grin )
Technically to apply for the apprenticeship you need to sign up on the site and fill in all your details etc etc but I sent an email asking what my options were as a potential mature candidate with some basic info on my qualifications and experience and they passed on the whole lot to the potential employee as a potential candidate for the apprenticeship.
I only found this out after my wife was in contact with them (she had left a message on someone's answerphone for a different matter) and they said they had put me forward.
Whether this was true or not is another matter and I have never received an acknowledgement email back from them.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Applying for a job and lacking qualification? If you are not careful you'll end up in management.

Or government Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Mature Students can often be accepted without all the stipulated qualifications that would apply to some in late teens or very early 20's.
Community Veteran

Interestingly, reading some of the entry requirements, if a course required a GCSE in Maths and English at grade C or above, if you took your GCSE's more than five years ago and got less than an A grade then you may be required to take a numeracy and literacy test.
If you took your GCSEs more than five years ago and didn’t gain a top grade (A or A*), or you don’t have good GCSE grades in Maths and English you will need to take a literacy and numeracy test.

Fortunately I got a grade A in both Maths and English  Grin
itsme
Grafter

You did not say which qualification is missing but the majority of engineering courses require maths so you may struggle if this is the missing qualification.
When I did a condensed BTEC in electronics, a 2 year full time course done in a year, my maths was not up to that level. Luckily the college did lay on extra maths lessons to quickly bring us up to speed.
Community Veteran

The requirement missing was a Level 2 NVQ in an engineering subject. While I studied for an OND in Engineering many moons ago, I had a couple of modules I needed to resit to complete it. As I had moved on to a HND (planning to resit the OND modules) and then ran out of money (then ended up getting two full time jobs and buying a house !) I didn't complete that qualification.
Something to kick yourself for in hindsight but back then I had no other real option Sad
Community Veteran

Where needed,. some establishments have provided remedial courses in several subjects.
Community Veteran

Well it will be interesting to see what happens.
I'm in a fortunate situation where I don't need to work but really want to work so I can try and find my "forever" job. I've done the 80 hour week IT Manager jobs, the "jump on a plane at a moments notice" jobs, the pizza delivery jobs, the sales jobs, the self employment stuff and I've been good at whatever I've done but it would be nice to settle down to something interesting but also something that you can leave behind at the end of the day and enjoy your evenings rather than getting called up at 2am to go out and sort out a disaster  Grin
There used to be a running joke at one of my old places that Dom never got a proper day off - I remember going on holiday and the first day I was there, there was a power cut at work and the server failed .......
Community Veteran

Personally, I think you should carry on with your "on-call at any time" type jobs and go and work for Plusnet. They need sorting out  Wink Cheesy
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
I'm in a fortunate situation where I don't need to work but really want to work so I can try and find my "forever" job. I've done the 80 hour week IT Manager jobs, the "jump on a plane at a moments notice" jobs, the pizza delivery jobs, the sales jobs, the self employment stuff and I've been good at whatever I've done but it would be nice to settle down to something interesting but also something that you can leave behind at the end of the day and enjoy your evenings rather than getting called up at 2am to go out and sort out a disaster  Grin

What type of engineering are you thinking of doing? I was in electronic design and I could not leave that in the office especially when taking it into production where the decisions made could cost the company serious money. It also involved jumping on a plane at a moment notice as the production was in the Far East and the companies largest market was the USA.
Community Veteran

I'm veering towards the mechanical engineering side - lathes / cnc / milling etc.
One of my customers I have been supporting over the past few years used to book me to set up their machines, document them and provide training to the staff which I enjoyed. I also designed and built some bespoke electronic controllers for them. Unfortunately they are not in a position to take me on full time so despite having "worked" for them for the past 6 or 7 years I've had to end providing services to them and make sure that whatever I do in the future is done with a clean break.
I also enjoy the electronics side of engineering. I have a pretty well equipped workshop and UV exposure / etch tanks etc for PCB making. Whether I would still enjoy it as much if I had to do it on a full time basis would be anyone's guess but still an option.
Travelling isn't really appealing. If it is necessary then I will tolerate it but having spent half my time out on the road in previous jobs, I find it a bit draining and flying doesn't agree with me physically - I love being on a plane but haven't found anything to counteract the inevitable nausea that kicks in after around an hour !
Fixes: 47

Quote from: DomS
Whether I would still enjoy it as much if I had to do it on a full time basis would be anyone's guess

Years ago my hobby was electronics and eventually computing.
When, at my last place of work I was migrated from my welding bench to an IT office of my own the IT became far less fun and enjoyable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Well that route seems to have ended up at a dead end. I can't say I'm surprised really as the people involved seem to be quite inept at communications. This would back up my wife's experience with the same people as she has dealt with them through her own company and struggled to get them to keep on top of things. Not good really when your job is to deal with the future of many young (and older) clients.
Having just spoken to the person who was going to call me back a few days ago (and didn't) and told that she's sent me an email (which she didn't) and that the apprenticeship had been filled (which her colleague said hadn't as the person at the company was on holiday). It was also strongly hinted that I try and find myself an employer who would put me through an apprenticeship at a later date as the incentives given to employers to train the under 24's made employing an older person and putting them through an apprenticeship too expensive.
Onwards and upwards - at least I'm in the position where I can keep an eye open and wait for something that appeals.