Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple security rules leave inherited iPad useless

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

A man whose mother bequeathed her iPad to her family in her will says Apple's security rules are too restrictive.
Since her death, they have been unable to unlock the device, despite providing Apple with copies of her will, death certificate and solicitor's letter.
Apple says its security measures have led the industry in helping customers protect lost or stolen devices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26448158

Personally, I informed my Children of nearly all of my access passwords for my iMacs and iPads and iPhones, and other non Apple devices (such as mobile phones) a while back, so that if & when they may need them, they already have them.
Due to Death or Major Illness.
And access to my Internet passwords too.

They have left home so no direct access.
7 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Apple security rules leave inherited iPad useless

its all a load of rubbish, apple wont do it because either they don't know how to do it or its not going to gift them the £500 that buying a new one would, by the same token the nearest secondary school probably has half a dozen "techs" who would do unlock it and do anything else the family requested for a few bob no worries (they do it every day for the kids they give the sodding things to anyway)
oh and the security setting can be undone in about 30 seconds if you have the unlock program installed on a pc
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro

Access is relatively easy, even to a password protected iMac.

However, speaking personally, all my financial and other confidential files and folders are password protected with different passwords.
And personal and Family Photo and Video Folders are encrypted, with password and Filevault protection.

The main reason to access the iPad mentioned, is probably to access the Mothers' files, photo's and videos, rather than just the device itself.
If she had posted the Photo's and Videos on Facebook, with Family only setting, they would still be accessible to the Family.
nanotm
Pro

then a data lead to the pc would provide the access.....no need for the unlock program either since everything will be freely accessible as "protected folders" which once copied can then be edited to take ownership and remove password settings (provided you have an admin account running in safe mode)
unless icrap now comes with drive guard as standard (which is a hardware anti copy feature usually on fitted to "secure" portables) its more about apple wanting ot say it cant be done than anything else, just like apple not admitting that iOS7 upgrade disabled admin lockouts and security /safety settings, (which they hope to reinstate with an update by the end of Easter holidays)  and failed to notify education establishments of this until the update had been live and installed (in order for the devices to remain covered by the support contracts) for 3 months ......
Infinity
Pro

Update:
Apple said confusion surrounded the iPad because Patrick asked the firm to provide his mother's Apple ID password which can’t be released without a court order.
Apple said the matter had since been resolved after it was confirmed he actually wanted to use the iPad for himself rather than access Apple ID protected files.
The tech giant said it was then able to turn off the Activation Lock security feature which only requires a copy of the death certificate and a legal document confirming the right to transfer the deceased's property.
TORPC
Grafter

It is bad enough losing a loved one, however big wig companies like Apple don't care
I can name a few others that dont care, that are closer to home
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Indeed when I lost my father 5 years ago the only utility company that were 'on the ball' were Anglian Water, At the time they were the only company I dealt with that had a dedicated bereavement department.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: TORPC
It is bad enough losing a loved one, however big wig companies like Apple don't care
I can name a few others that dont care, that are closer to home

pity anyone whose dearly departed used British Gas for utilities, they wont talk to you unless your listed on the billing system as having co-responsibility for the account(s) .....
some companies are far far better, but there often much much smaller and haven't quite gotten large enough to loose focus from people to numbers ....