Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Apple iPad

Rising Star

Apple iPad

What's with the "i" anyhow?  So they revealed it today: link
First thing I did when I saw the image?  Burst out laughing.  It's basically an oversized iPhone (although BBC didn't go into details, like does it contain a phone, if it doesn't, its an oversized iPod touch).  It has to be the most ugly, hideous user interface I've ever seen. Opinions?

[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): removed comment which could be seen as insulting. Please review the link:rules and refrain from making such comments in future.]
37 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Apple iPad

this is the sort of thing i've been banging on about for years.  i presented the idea as 'electroslate' and at ruddy long last it's beginning to make its appearance.  i doubt i'd buy anything from overpriced apple, but there is now a plethora of firms dipping their mitts into this pool and coming up with lovely designs.  soon, soon...
Rising Star

I know you're a Linux fan, but there is one tablet I saw, a prototype or design spec from Microsoft.  It has 2 touch screen areas and looks like a giant book.  You can drag things from the left screen on to the right, and it runs Windows 7, and being a Windows device the hardware will be open for Linux to go onto it eventually.  It knocks the socks off the iPad, and because it's proper Windows and not Windows Mobile, you can run all Windows applications on it (and hopefully Linux too!).
The iPad to me just seems like a giant iPod for surfing the internet, the most a sane person would pay for something like that is around £150, but when an iPhone can do what that tablet can do, and tablets with "real" OS's on it (which, ok you'll hate me for this) that are open (ok, stop hating me now!) can do so much more and are not limited to what you can find on the App Store, the iPad, it just strikes me as something that's useless.
Grafter

I was just watching this on Sky news and I have to say that I was not impressed by it. They want to compete with Netbooks, but I just don't see myself typing on that for an extended time. It will have all the fun that an iPod touch/Phone has, but is that going to be worth the outrageous price tag that I'm sure it will have? I know I will not be buying it, but I'm sure that they will sell millions, because of the fashion appeal.
Rising Star

Prices are out!  They start at $499 for the basic 16Gb model, $599 for 32Gb and $699 for 64Gb version.  You can add 3G for $130.
So basic version with 3G is $529, which at todays exchange rate is say £330.  So we can expect it to retail over here for around £480-£500 (price based on Mac Mini being £510/$599).
The thing is, is 16Gb really enough for a multimedia centre?  I downloaded a free movie from iTunes over xmas and it takes up over 1Gb of space on my iPhone so only room there for 15 films at a time which isn't very many.  For half the price you can get a (non touchscreen) netbook with 250Gb hard drive space and the ability to sit in front of you whilst you drink your coffee watching *any* movie you desire.  Maybe I'm missing the point of the iPad, I just can't see why anyone would choose it over things that are already available which cost considerably less.
It's not a mobile phone, the 3G is just for data and browsing the internet ($14.99/pm for 250Mb transfer or $29.99 "unlimited") so you need Wi-Fi for serious browsing, out and about you'll want something smaller maybe around the size of, I dunno, a mobile phone?  For watching videos you'll want something that can sit up straight, doesn't cost a lot and has ample hard drive space for storing videos, maybe something like, I dunno, a netbook?
I think Apple are way off the mark here, by bring out what is in effect an enlarged iPod they are trying to capture a segment of the market that doesn't exist yet, and probably never will do either.
Community Veteran

Not sure how you reached £480-£500; applying the same 510:599 ratio to the lowest $499 price comes out at £425. Alas, no-one will know for certain for some time as apparently ‘international pricing will be announced at a later date’.
Anyway, for me personally it'd be a useful device. I grant you, it probably isn't going to be as popular as Apple's pocket devices – but that doesn't mean that no-one's going to find use and value from it.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Addnan
but I just don't see myself typing on that for an extended time.

There is a dock/stand which includes a keyboard.
Hoping to get my hands on one in a few days time, will report back what I can.
Community Veteran

Quote from: dgwebb
The thing is, is 16Gb really enough for a multimedia centre?

Yes, because in the world of connected Apple devices, your movies would be stored on a NAS, MacMini or TimeCapsule ...
Grafter

Now I am sure Thomas will back-up my love of all things Apple. In summary, fart scented roses.
The view is fantastic, but just how productive would you be with one?
Is it me, or has far too much R&D gone into this?
I mean, it's a nifty little piece of hardware, has an impressive clock speed and will be pretty lightning paced in terms of response. But just what can you do with that clock? Well, you can use all 140,000 pieces of software already available for the iPod Touch and Jebus Phone, of which I would say you will unlikely see more than 20,000 personally in your life, let alone use them (have you noted the spam pilfering the App Store?).
Why not a scalled back OS X?
Why not just mash the Touch's access technology with the simplicity of the Air? I mean, the Air isn't much thicker.
If you ask me, I the O2 Joggler might do everything you need here, and your iPod will do the rest.
[edit]
didn't mean to say you would see 120,000 apps, though I wan't your wallet if you do
Rising Star

Maybe, but if you're at home where the Mac/NAS/TimeCapsule is (although something like 93% of all computer owners do not own either a Mac nor TimeCapsule...., probably closer to 97%) then you wouldn't be watching a movie on your iPad, you would have your Media Player (PS3) hooked up to your HDTV and connected to your Windows Media Player to stream the HD signal over LAN to the PS3 into the HDTV (at least that's what I'd do).
HD Movies range from 2Gb up to 10Gb, most Netbooks *should* be able to cope with 1280*720 (WXGA), if you're using the iPad to watch movies (as it's design specs suggest you would do) then you're not going to watch movies on it in an area where you can watch it on a larger screen, for instance your TV or computer, so you're going to watch the movies when you're out and about, on a long train ride, plane journey, back of a car for a few hours so you're limited to 7-8 movies, unless its the full 10Gb then it's just the one (assuming the iPad can handle 720).  It's going to get uncomfortable on space pretty quickly.
Reading books is another thing suggested for it, but LCD displays that are colour are not really the best suited for it.  Things like the Kindle use e-ink as it's much easier on the eyes and you don't get eye strain, the iPad may make for uncomfortable reading after a while.
You're also limited to what Apples lets you play on your iPad, if you want a specific application to run and it's not available on iTunes, you're out of luck.
There is also no mention of multi-tasking ability, the iPhone can't multitask, you can run music in the background but that's about it, you can't have two applications running at the same time (a spreadsheet and a database or word document for instance).
There is no Microsoft Office on it either, so if you're in a business environment you're limited to Apples "iWork" suite - I don't know if iWork can import MS spreadsheets, and it has no database, so limited functionality for business users.
A new way of reading newspapers, like Harry Potter with moving pictures?  Maybe, but it's a bit over-priced to read a news paper with moving pictures when you can just go to news.bbc.co.uk and read the news for free, from a netbook.
The basic version doesn't have the space for a multi-media fanatic, there is also no mention of if the battery is user replacable, 10 hour's per charge isn't all that much if you can't switch batteries around and have to charge it up every day/
Basically it offers nothing that you can't get from an older generation mobile phone, if you want an all singing, all dancing device, the Nokia N900 is an amazing device to own, if you need a touch screen tablet, there are cheaper alternatives out there which offer a full OS, and you can bet your bottom dollar that Linux will end up being put on these tablets too.
The iPad is trying to capture the ground between the mobile phone and the netbook, except there is no middle ground to capture, if anything mobile phones are getting more powerful and encroaching into netbook territory (N900 again, it's basically a Linux PC in mobile form).  People were expecting some kind of amazing miracle from Steve Jobs, a tablet that would usher in a new era of computing, instead they got the iPad.
Community Veteran

Quote from: P
Now I am sure Thomas will back-up my love of all things Apple. In summary, fart scented roses.

You know you love them really. Tongue
Anyway, I get the feeling that people are over-thinking the purpose of the iPad a tad, and are perhaps trying to shoehorn it in to doing things it's not necessarily designed to do. The way I personally see it is as a large and powerful iPod Touch adorned with a gorgeous screen (IPS with LED backlighting, mmm. Seriously, don't knock it until you've tried it). Now, I have an iPhone and often use it for a spot of web browsing while I'm actually at home – even in the same room as my computer. My computer is a desktop, so if I want to surf the web from, say, my bed, my iPhone's the only solution out of the devices I already own. But the screen is so cramped… ah-ha, iPad. I could spend half as much on a netbook, of course. But I'd be losing the multitouch interface and any semblance of quality. I could buy one of those Archos tablets with Windows 7, which are about the same price £400 and up on Expansys. But, let's face it, Windows 7 isn't anywhere near as finger-friendly as the iPad's OS, so the experience wouldn't be as good. I could buy an Apple laptop, but they're extremely expensive just for some casual web browsing – and, as with netbooks, not multitouch.
Or consider the act of sharing photos and videos with friends. Again, I feel compelled to mention the high-quality screen: it would make the experience much more pleasurable than using a washed out netbook's screen.
Another thought is that perhaps the iPad is designed to be a device for people who already own iPod Touches and iPhones; that it's essentially a big screen for applications people already own. Games are a big thing on the small pocket devices, and I can imagine a lot of people being pretty excited about the idea of being able to play some really excellent games (without purchasing them again) on a screen that's almost three times the size, whilst retaining all of the sensor-based functionality that's so essential to some of the games.
Quote from: P
Why not a scalled back OS X?

I've got to admit that part of me yearns for the full OS X on a tablet, à la the Modbook. For years I've wished for such a device (at a reasonable price), so that I could actually compose music my placing my fingers on a page rather than clicking a mouse. As much as I'd like such a device though, I think I can see why Apple have abstained from going that route: it just wouldn't create such a touch-optimised and responsive experience as using the iPhone OS does. (And after all, the iPhone OS is still heavily based on the full OS X once you delve beyond the GUI.)
Quote from: dgwebb
Reading books is another thing suggested for it, but LCD displays that are colour are not really the best suited for it.  Things like the Kindle use e-ink as it's much easier on the eyes and you don't get eye strain, the iPad may make for uncomfortable reading after a while.

I was quite an early user of eBooks – I used to read them on PDAs with (by today's smartphone standards) tiny screens years before most of society had heard of them. And, you know, the experience was surprisingly pleasurable. Provided the app was well designed with good choices of background colour, foreground colour and font, plus intelligent anti-aliasing, it really was quite enjoyable – and very convenient. It's also worth bearing in mind a point I read on one of many sites talking about the iPad today: one can buy the cheapest iPad for just slightly more than a Kindle DX which in many ways is much less technically advanced than the iPad. Of course, the Kindle has some advantages – the e-ink display being the main one, which would provide a battery life vastly in excess of the iPad's for reading books – but if you want a device that can handle reading as well as many other tasks, the iPad's starting price point looks pretty competitive when compared to the DX.
Highlighted
Rising Star

I have to admit that I've never used touch screen on Windows 7 so can't really say what it's like.  I do however have a graphics tablet and Windows 7 makes good use of that, it is also designed with touch screen in mind.  Looking at this video it appears to have multi-touch capabilities in the applications shown, it's rather impressive video really, on a netbook sized PC with touch screen.  The advantage a full blown OS will have over the iPad is the multi-tasking ability, you want to watch a movie in a small box with earphones in whilst searching the internet and chatting to your friend on MSN/AOL/Yahoo, you need to be able to multi-task to have the 3 applications running at once.
/edit Better demonstration of Windows 7 touch screen, including use of a "pen" device
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

It's a netbook without the hinge.  Grin Grin

Support via Land-Line 0800 432 0200

Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
Anyway, I get the feeling that people are over-thinking the purpose of the iPad a tad, and are perhaps trying to shoehorn it in to doing things it's not necessarily designed to do.

Are we.
The Media seem to think they are playing to join the market were and increasing number of Windows devices of a similar ilk exist.
Surely if this is the case, Apple have under thought it?
Moderator Moderator
Fixes: 7

Quote from: A
It's a netbook without the hinge.  Grin Grin

But if you buy the optional stand and keyboard it's a slim desktop.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine