Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apollo 11

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Apollo 11

It was an amazing feat when man actually stepped on the moon 50 years ago, I guess most people old enough will remember where they were when that appeared on TV.

Several people at the time were convinced that by 2020 we would have bases on the moon and not long after man would be on Mars, even with our advances in technology since that time there are to my knowledge no plans to set up any sort of base on the moon or send man to mars so is there any chance that at some point in the future we will achieve these things or is there any need to attempt these things as we can send robots to these places to gather samples and information thus avoiding the possible loss of life if humans weny ?

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Apollo 11

I know where I was, I was in front the television! Wink

Seriously though, it was not unreasonable to think that in sight as we were of mans first flight, that in just over the same period of time we'd be settled on the Moon and on our ways to Mars - no problem. But the problem was of course that technology could not keep pace with our dreams of interstellar travel despite the like of Flash Gordon and Dan Dare making us think it was all possible, if only on paper and in comics.

Now of course we have the technology to at least travel within our own solar system. All we need is the means, money and needs to achieve it along with the hope that we'll not destroy ourselves in the meantime. 

Highlighted
Rising Star

NASA is certainly sending men back to the Moom

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/01/nasa-orion-recovery-tests-humans-moon-space-science/

The Orion capsule they'll be using will be laucnhed using NASA's new Space Launch System (bigger and badder than the old Saturn V launch vehicles).

The link also has information on NASA's future plans for the Moon, Mars, and hopes of sending people further.

"NASA’s Space Launch System will be the most powerful rocket we’ve ever built. When completed, SLS will enable astronauts to begin their journey to explore destinations far into the solar system."

Pete
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

BBC on form for once last night with Chasing the Moon. Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Crunchie 

Thanks for the links, some interesting information there.

I'm all for our exploration of space and the planets but remain doubtful if we will ever get that far ie: To Mars and beyond.

The main reason why I think that is because it makes no commercial sense and the bigger projects which cost billions are funded by goverments.

Yes there is scope for Branson and others to do trips into space for those with the money but that will be the limit and if anything goes wrong resulting in loss of life it will set things back years, it would take a brave private investor to put money into such enterprises.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Commercial sense is what it's all about, along with leaving this planet of ours which is slowly but surely being turned into a rust bucket.

Poor old Raleigh, all the way to the Americas and back and not even a t-shirt, just a bag of spuds. Wink

Highlighted
All Star

@Minivanman  ....and tobacco!!!! Thats been a great success!!!Sad

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

".... so we can eat those 'potatoes' Walter, but this other stuff you just set light to it?" 

Hmm, off with his head!

Forward four hundred and fifty years and...

"So we've spent billions of dollars Neil and all you've brought back are some small rocks?" 

Hmm, that's the last time we send you mate. 

Grin

Highlighted
Fixes: 414

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XDxAzVEbN4

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Funny

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I was sat in front of a TV watching a very grainy image. I must admit it was only until I went to the Cape that I realised how big those rockets were and how little came back.

@Minivanman wrote: Now of course we have the technology to at least travel within our own solar system.

And out Smiley Incredibly, the Voyager spacecrafts were launched in the '70 and are still operating. To boldly go!

We just don't seem to have come up with anything new though. Rockets all the way.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Moot point I know @idonno but 'we' haven't travelled further than the moon. Roll_eyes

Those Voyager craft really are something though I must admit. Are they it still sending back signals?

PS. Yep, seems they still are.Thumbs_Up

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/

Highlighted
All Star

@Strat  Thanks strat I have been trying to remember Bob Newharts name for ages now and although I remember his work well couldnt remember his nameThumbs_Up

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Depends on what you mean by we Grin Yes true, people haven't gone there but 'we' did build them! Cheesy

Now if they can build electronics to go 41 years (and counting), why is nigh on everything built nowadays so short lived?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Built in obsolescence?

Fifty years ago they wanted those guys back whereas now, why would they want our washing machines to last longer than five years when they can sell us a new one when it conk's out!