cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aortic Aneurysm

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Aortic Aneurysm

An Aortic Aneurysm may have little or no signs or symptoms and if your Aorta ruptures nothing will save you.
The good news is that for Men age 65 and over in England can get a free scan on the National Health Service.
You DO NOT need a referral from your GP but when contacting AAA Screening you will need your 10 digit NHS Number which you can get from your local Health Centre.
If the scan does show any problems then a stent can be used to strengthen that part of the Aorta that is weak.
There is plenty of information about this on the following website,
http://www.aaa.screening.nhs.uk/whereyoulive
If you Live in Lancashire or Cumbria the Local telephone Number is  0191 4452554
If you live in any other part of England the Number is  01452  318844
A Scan takes 15 minutes and is similar to the type of scan used for pregnant women........ I Can think of no reason why anyone eligible would not want to have a scan.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Aortic Aneurysm

Not at all - it could have saved my father's life
Thanks for the heads up - I will get it done
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Just to add this can happen to ANYONE of any age.
Back in February my 24year old neighbour died of this. The NHS claiming that only older folk are threatened by it is absolute rubbish.
It's yet more government "Look after the old to win votes and the young can rot" policy.
My neighbour was a good bloke, hard working, liked by all and then one night bang. Two ambulances spent over an hour trying to revive him before declaring him dead. The post mortem showed he'd had an aortic aneurysm that had ruptured while he was watching TV.
This scan should be offered to everyone not just the old.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Thanks for the details gleneagles. Certainly something that I'll be getting done.
@7up, an AAA is predominately a problem for the older person, particularly men.  It only occurs 25 times per 100,000 in those aged under 50 so testing would not be an effective use of resources.  Your GP can refer you at any age if he feels there is a risk. In even younger people (<50) the risk is even less.
Community Veteran

Yeah but where do these figures come from artmo? - A government run organisation?
My neighbour was a healthy lad, loved being active and frankly nothing stopped him doing anything. One night there were two ambulances out there for several hours, then a police car and then a private ambulance turned up. Next day I found out it was him who had died.
There is a lot of emphasis on extending thelives of the elderly in this country while the younger working population who are meant to pay for it are not considered important. I can't help but wonder why this is?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Presumably you'd be happy for income tax to rise by say 5p to pay for screening for all ages for all the low occurrence illnesses?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

All tests have a certain proportion of false positives.
You would be swamped by false results if you tested a low-incidence population.

Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Yeah but where do these figures come from artmo? - A government run organisation?

Do you have any better figures?
My figures come from the NHS.  All incidents are recorded with a central database so that future health needs can be planned.  I see nothing wrong with that.
Community Veteran

Quote from: jelv
Presumably you'd be happy for income tax to rise by say 5p to pay for screening for all ages for all the low occurrence illnesses?

Actually 5p to care and screen theyounger generations yes, I would.
Thing is though the government wouldn't use it for that would they, they'd spend it on some unwanted war against another religion ./ oil wealthy state.
Community Veteran

..........but do you actually pay income tax or are you spending our tax money Undecided
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

that should say 15% not 5p increase
theres less people actually paying income tax now than ever before so its only fair those earning pay for those that aren't ........
probably best split it though as 5% income tax raise and 10% NI raise .....its still the same tax but it pays then for research of treatments (5%) and the screening systems (10%) so a very effective use of income Tongue
and yes I pay income tax but only about £300 a year so even a 15% increase wouldn't make much difference to me .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

And how much would you like to increase taxes for cancer screening, dementia screening and all the other conditions out there?
The cost of screening 100,000 under 50s to detect 25 AAAs is not an effective use of money especially if the GP has the facility to screen any of these cases.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
..........but do you actually pay income tax or are you spending our tax money Undecided

Well your generation is more than happy to spend ours..  Wink
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
And how much would you like to increase taxes for cancer screening, dementia screening and all the other conditions out there?
The cost of screening 100,000 under 50s to detect 25 AAAs is not an effective use of money especially if the GP has the facility to screen any of these cases.

to be totally honest I would like to see less money wasted on keeping people who should be dead alive (because they have little or no quality of life) and reduce our taxes accordingly, there's too many people in the world already, and whilst I wouldn't ever wish any individual dead, I would like scientists to stop subverting nature when there are such extraordinarily high financial costs for a minuscule amount of people's benefit, screening of things like cancer should be a routine occurrence but far too much money is wasted on other areas billions were pumped into research into extending the lives of people born with certain types of as yet incurable illnesses an utter waste of time and money both of which could of been far better spent on provisioning screening equipment like portable body scanners and then running them, instead it was wasted so that people with little or no quality of life can be kept alive using vast resources only to die of there illness a few years later, (we all die sometime) would of been far better for all concerned if nature was allowed to take its course instead of wasting public resources and finances in such a fashion!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nadger
Rising Star

When my bladder cancer was diagnosed a CT scan showed an AAA. At that point it was 54mm diameter. Aorta is 25mm diameter.
After my cancer surgery I was eventually referred to St Mary's Paddington as my consultant felt op was beyond his level of expertise.
By then the AAA had grown to 62mm.
As I'd already had major surgery to remove bladder and prostate my only possible op was an EVAR. Due to complications I was 8.5 hours in surgery wide awake with epidural.
That was 4 years ago next February. So far the massive stent is still in place with no leakage.
I can confirm that I had no pain or symptoms and would probably be dead as initial diagnosis was 5 years ago.