Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything you should not have ? ? ? ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Anything you should not have ? ? ? ?

one of the first questions, the police ask... when they have stopped a suspected drug dealer/shop lifter/general purpose burglar/car theif/etc..

Who me  ?   Yeah.. got a couple of shivs, some coke, and a glock ....  

Oh... that`s nice.... let me have them, and you can go on your way then......

Yeah...r i t e - o h...

but it seems to be a daft question...

Like at the american border crossings....  Hi... anything to declare... any drugs, or weapons, cash over ten thousand dollars  ? ? ?

Yes, officer... I have drugs and weapons... what do you need ? ? ?  

and no... I haven`t got more than $10,000  it`s been a slow week, this week.... so anything I can sell you will improve that side of things....

18 REPLIES 18
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Anything you should not have ? ? ? ?

I would guess it's a way of verifying if you are telling the truth because if not, it'll be a case of "would you mind stepping out of the car sir" and cuffs on. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

@shutter wrote:

Anything you should not have ?

For a moment there @shutter I thought you were going to tell us that Macron, Merkel and von der Leyen had been caught with the towels from their G7 hotel in their bags as they were leaving. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

Blimey, Macon sharing a room with those two?

Still, they are both younger than his Mrs. 😀

Thomas A. Edison
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

Travelling from Ireland to visit recently, my daughter was asked at the border "Any tobacco or alcohol?"

She looked over her shoulder at the mass of stuff she'd brought with her and said "Er, no, sorry."

He grinned and said "OK, on your way".

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@198kHz 

Reminds of that story I must have told before of a friend arriving in France whose car was then checked by customs. They spent some time looking at a lot cheese he had on board.

"It's cheese" he said after a while. "We know that" they said, "but why?"   😂

Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Are you obliged to answer any questions by the police before you are formally charged ?

I cannot answer that question officer on the grounds I might incriminate myself.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

You are not obliged to answer any question even if you are formally charged, at least that's my understanding and it and it would certainly be my position should I ever find myself in that situation.

"Book 'em Danno". 😎

Thomas A. Edison
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Well,.... You could ..... remain mute.... or you could respond... " no comment " to any questions they ask... even if it is just your name and date of birth and address.

However... they do have a "catch-all" so they can arrest you at that point...  for "obstructing the police, in the execution of their duties"..

He does not have to explain what his duties are... so you must go to court to establish if he was, indeed, executing his duties, at the time of asking....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I was referring though to the situation after being charged with an offence, but  if you are arrested without just cause or without  the authority of a senior officer then joe blogs road side copper is going to find himself in a bit of bother.

It pays to respond in kind of course if you are stopped as you never know, the police officer might just be asking for directions.😊

Thomas A. Edison
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Cor I know, now the restrictions are lifting (a bit, flashed up on my phone a little while ago the UK has cancelled theirs), I have to take prescription drugs as I have had seizures in the past (that is Eplipesy for people who don't know what that is).

To say that is not nice is the biggest understatment ever. So I will say no more there.

So I have to carry and take prescription drugs. The pharmacy and my doctors often don't bother with printed prescriptions now as they can't be bothered to print them round my way. I just ask for more (like from the film Oliver) and tell them my name and address.

Sometimes I have to request they print another prescription off which is an instant job they can do on their computer.

If I were to travel abroad now I guess I would have to cover myself (big time) and carry a paper prescription with me and a doctors letter, to prove those tablets are not something dodgy I got from the internet.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@Alex wrote:

If I were to travel abroad now I guess I would have to cover myself (big time) and carry a paper prescription with me and a doctors letter, to prove those tablets are not something dodgy I got from the internet.

Even that might not be enough in some places. It's a bigger problem than I think is generally recognised.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/united-kingdom/articles/if-you-carry-these-prescription-drugs-abro...

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Can only speak from my own experience but everything that is obtained from the chemist on a prescription is provided in a box with the name of the drug on it, the address of the pharmacy and my name.

A single phone call to either the pharmacy or Health centre could confirm what had been issued to me and when it was prescribed.

Whenever possible I try to take unopened boxes on holiday …….

I guess when the authorities are making any inquiries about you they will already have checked your past history and any previous issues relating to drugs will already be known to them.

I am however in the fortunate position of not having the need for any pain killers so @198kHz post does not apply in my case.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Thanks @gleneagles 

Yeah mine is, but is just has my name on it not address. With the words "Do not stop taking this medicine unless your doctor tells you to stop".

I can read between the lines and I know what that means.

It could be a while before I go on holiday anyway, but I would like to go as soon as I can. When things hopefully start getting a bit back to normal (ha ha ha raucous laughter)

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

@RobPN 

Blimey, Macon sharing a room with those two?

Still, they are both younger than his Mrs. 😀

Reminds me of when I asked one of my colleagues if I could borrow one of the newspapers he had on his table.  He held them up and - referring to the picture on the front page - said, "Do you want Katie Price or Susan Boyle?"  Tough choice! 😀

"You are not obliged to answer any question even if you are formally charged,"  But it may harm your defence etc.

Are you not obliged to give your name and address?  I'm sure I've seen them in TV documentaries say that they have to take someone to the station in order to confirm their identity since the person has refused to give their name and address.