cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone remember the 'Ready-Brek kids'?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Anyone remember the 'Ready-Brek kids'?

And we thought less soldiers were dangerous.....but somehow I think I missed out because I never had one!

http://marketbusinessnews.com/dangerous-toy-kids-ever-display-ulster-museum/48576 Cheesy
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Anyone remember the 'Ready-Brek kids'?

As a kid I remember the school science lesson giving many of us a green blob on a piece of cardboard which we took home to look at in the dark with a magnifying glass.
I found it fascinating watching all the green flashes/sparks flying from it for a short distance.
No idea what it was.
Probably plutonium considering this was roughly the same time as my older cousins, who worked in the docks, used to have "snow ball" fights with asbestos.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ah kids these days don't know they're born, 'til they get a facebook notification on their smartphone the moment they pop out that is... Grin
That said I never got to play with anything like this, did have a "chemistry set" but that was pretty much bicarb and vinegar, with coloured dyes, only learned one thing with that, coloured dyes stain things... Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: doris

And we thought less soldiers were dangerous...

Less soldiers are, probably, more dangerous..... but lead soldiers were only considered dangerous, much later  ! !  ...
Community Veteran

Plastic soldiers were a disappointment.
Far less resistant to air rifle attack.
nanotm
Pro

but the plastic ones floated and provided a perfect slow moving target .......
seriously I'm surprised there are any of those kits still around, just think a half intelligent secondary school kid could of built there own dirty bomb with one of those kits .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 121

I remember having a chemistry set in the 70's. That is until my brother got hold of the iron filings and set light to his bedroom trying to burn them on a sheet of paper Crazy
I also remember having an electronics kit. If I recall correctly I made a working radio.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I made a working radio.

I made a (working) crystal set, as did many kids of my generation.
Back then it was a more make and repair society than the consumerism of today.

nanotm
Pro

I remember the first time I tried to build my own radio set, I hooked the valves up the wrong way round and was still getting glass splinters in the tread of my boots 6 months later .... only good thing was my parents insisted I worked in one of the work sheds and not my bedroom or I might not of had the (as it turned out) appropriate advice that I should duck before switching on the power supply at the mains .......

I managed to build several transistor radios though the valve one was going to be for chatting to my mate a few miles down the road when we weren't aloud out perhaps it would of been better if I had actually bought the correct parts instead of salvaging bits from all the junk people through in the ditches around where we lived .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
chuffchuff
Rising Star

When I was 11 I was given a great book "Project Telstar" (showing my age!) - I still have it.
As mentioned already a crystal set soon followed, but I also seem to recollect
a morse code kit. Is the latter a figment of my imagination or was it something
to do with the crystal set?
Fixes: 47

I've made a few crystal sets and loved listening to Radio Luxembourg under the bed clothes with a torch.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Going back to the original topic, I remember a cloud chamber at school in the 1960`s. It had an isotope in the middle and iirc we pumped it up with a bycicle pump. Then we all gathered round to watch the vapour trails of atomic particles being given off.
Great fun  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 47

I once received a chemistry set for Christmas which fostered an unhealthy interest in the explosive side of chemistry like Nitrogen Triiodide and thermite mixtures.
These days the chemistry sets are very tame by comparison.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation