cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone identify this?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Anyone identify this?

Any gardening experts can you identify the growth in the attached photo.
I am not a dedicated gardener, partly because the painful knees preclude much activity out there.
The growth began a couple of years back, it is thought to be coming under the fence from my neighbours garden, it resists any form of weed-killer that I have tried including Roundup. It pulls up quite easily but returns very quickly at this time of year.
A number of people have looked at it, scratched their heads and said "dunno what that is" it looks a bit like Mint but isn't (I'm assured) it has no smell. But it grows at a fantastic rate. At this time it occupies one corner of my garden but is gradually taking it over, it is also in the lawn (bottom left of photo.
When mowed, it doesn't so much cut as break off level with the ground. During the winter it dies back entirely leaving a bald patch in the grass where it has been. During this spring some parts have got to almost two feet high and still growing!!
If you know what it is, how do you get rid of it?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
13 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Anyone identify this?

Burdock perhaps?  Does it flower?  What sort of stem has it got?
This may help?
http://www.gardenwithoutdoors.org.uk/?q=weed_guide
gromittz
Grafter

Looks a lot like Japanese Knotweed.
Community Veteran

It's ground elder
Edible but it takes over by swamping everything else
Strangely enough some garden centres sell  a variegated form for ground cover
I've got it myself and its my next big project.  Sad
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Thank you PeterLoftus.
Do you mean your project is to grow it or get rid of it? If the latter let me know how you did it please.
@promod, I'm happy to report that it is definitely not Japanese Know Weed (I'm assured) that is a notifiable problem I believe if you have it.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Now I know what it is, I've found an answer:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/10432142/Thorny-problems-how-can-I-get-rid-of-g...

nanotm
Pro

Funny I was just going to suggest using a weedkiller, although most of them tend to kill everything in The area and not just the thing your trying to get rid of.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

One option might be one of those glyphosate gel week killers that you touch the plant leaves with. But with such a big spread you may be on a hiding to nothing. Having said that if the plant is coming from a neighbouring garden then it may be a safer option.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Having worked as a "jobbing gardener" for some parts of my exciting life...... I have come across this problem in several BIG gardens that I used to work ....
The idea of "smothering" with black plastic is only a temporary measure really,... as the roots will be sitting nice and comforatbly and extending themselves, just waiting for the plastic to be lifted...  then BANG you got twice as much as you had a couple of years ago !..
Yes, you can keep using weedkiller, and if you can use the type that is "supposed" to kill the roots..... make sure the leaves are well developed, and on a nice warm dry day...give them a good soaking with the weed killer... a second dose a few days later may also help...
However... I found the most successful way was to get dig out as much root as possible, and, together with the soil , get a good bonfire going and sprinkle it all on there.... THEN.. comes the arduous task of getting on your hands and knees, with a small hand fork,... turning over the remaining soil, and picking out all flibrous rootstock.. .. Best way, to do this is to mark of a section, say 2ft by 2ft... and really give it a good clean up...
Oh, nearly forgot.... if its coming under the fence.... then you need to dig a trench about 2 feet deep, and make a "wall" of black plastic sheeting along the fence line..... Seiving the soil and removing any roots before back filling...  .. you should aim for at least 3 to 4 ffeet either side of your infestation....
any new growth you see in the "treated as above" area, will be a " tell-tale"  of where you missed a bit of root and should be carefully extracted by hand fork....

Best of luck... ( especially with your knees !!! O)....
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mook
One option might be one of those glyphosate gel week killers that you touch the plant leaves with. But with such a big spread you may be on a hiding to nothing.

It is probably the best route, just go into this knowing that it will probably not solved in one go. Paint a few of the leaves you can see, dabbing it on using a small modelling paint brush, leave it a few weeks, see what is dying and repeat again after 4 weeks or so on those leaves which are still nice and green. And do not be surprised if you have to repeat this next year.
I do this with bind weed, you never get rid of it fully, but now after 3 years, I just let it start growing and in the first few weeks of summer, at about this time of year, I am out with my brush and some neat glyphosate.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

The only way I got rid of it was dig it out. You have to collect the tiniest bits of root or it will grow again.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Of course there is one option, but it's pretty drastic and that is to salt the soil, with copious amounts of road or table salt. The only downside to that is it will sterilise the soil, for a long time and nothing will grow.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

At one time you could buy sodium chlorate which would kill everything in the soil for about 6 months unfortunately some people were using it for a different purpose and it has now been banned.
As suggested by Mook your best bet is salt which is fairly cheap to buy in large quantities.
Community Veteran

Quote from: promod
Looks a lot like Japanese Knotweed.

That is not Japanese knotweed!
I would try something like this (available at garden centres) - http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/Products/l/Long-Lasting-Ground-Clear-3-sachet
Once it's died off and is clear, it's worth trying to block it coming through the fence from the neighbours.