cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone had any experience unchecky?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Anyone had any experience unchecky?

Came across this, and wondered if anyone has any experience?
http://unchecky.com/
Seems like a good idea, but worried I may get complacent and rely on it too much.  Huh
8 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: Anyone had any experience unchecky?

I wouldn't use it.
It doesn't take too much time and effort to read what's in front of you before clicking Next/Install.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

What really annoys me is the ones that auto-install (unless you click the 'No' option) a search engine or trial period of a 'Premium' service. Malwarebytes is typical of this last one.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Not quite as bad as installing unwanted software but the Opera browser installer is a bit cheeky. The first screen offers Options and Accept and Upgrade buttons. The option to make Opera the default browser is pre-checked but one only finds that out if one selects Options. The options could easily form part of the first screen and changing the default browser should be a decision made by the person installing and not a default IMO.
Fixes: 123

A lot of software have button for default setup with another for customising. It's only when you select the customise option that you see the various junk programs that would have been installed under the default option  Angry
How many select the latter option assuming they would get the best setup for the system?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

In light of what I see on the computers that friends ask me to check over - one hell of a lot.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So, if I publish a piece of software and offer a checkbox marked 'Uncheck if you want a load of special bonus junkware' would I defeat this otherwise potentially useful software?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I doubt if you will defeat it unless the 'extras' you want to sneak in are actually in the software downloaded as....
"Installers often try to sneak additional programs as a natural part of the installation. Unchecky warns you when you try to accept a potentially unwanted offer, which makes it less likely to be accepted accidentally."
So I think it only permits installing of one program at a tinge and automatically warns of any others so you have to physically decide to accept it out deny it. St last that's the way I see it, but I'm probably wrong. Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I have heard of it on here before. I've not used it.
Problem is, it'll only be a matter of time where you have to check a box to not get installs to include other stuff. Roll eyes