cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone grow grapes??

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Anyone grow grapes??

Hi. I bought a vine two years ago and planted it in the back garden, just to see what happened. No great aspirations, just an experiment really.  At the end of the first year I had about half a dozen bunches, which ripened on the vine.  Granddaughters  loved picking them and eating them. Small but very sweet.
I then pruned back to where I thought I should after reading on web, though no guarantees I got it right. This year the vine has 'exploded' into life. It's now stretched over eight feet of fence and six feet high ( sorry all you youngsters- I don't do metric).  I have loads of bunches of grapes but they aren't ripening. Site the odd one is but not whole bunches. The weather is not promising, so my question is 'do grapes ripen off the vine?' like tomatoes or do I have to stick it out?
Anyone else grown grapes  can give me some advice please?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Anyone grow grapes??

Interesting DB.  Are they planted in the open or have you covered them in some way?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I have some plants in a greenhouse and some outside, and let mine ripen on the vine.
I have tried ripening off the vine (as I do with late tomatoes), but they are never as good as just leaving them.
The only thing about leaving them on the vine, is you might have to protect them from birds !

As for looking after your plants, this is what my neighbours say - http://www.newhallwines.co.uk/VinesCare.htm
but then they are just showing off -
Community Veteran

Just planted outside against a south facing wooden fence.  I do have a net over them tho.
Community Veteran

Have a dozen vines  (space for 15) growing against a south facing wall under a 'half arc poly tunnel', I grub up and replace a vine every couple of years, leaving the ground fallow for a year..
Found one trick to be to prune twice a year, once at the end of the season (November time), but before that when the bunches start to form, prune off all 'vine' beyond the last bunch, getting the 'vine' to put it energy into the grapes and not into growth.
Sometimes they don't ripen, I just wait until the first frost pick and convert to a palatable ice-wine.
Community Veteran

Thanks journeys, does a vine only last a couple of years?  The original idea was to let it grow to cover  a portion of wall to soften the edges of the garden. The actual grapes are a bonus.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Mine are more than ten years old and get better every year, despite being in pots  Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
I grub up and replace a vine every couple of years, leaving the ground fallow for a year..

Think I miss led you, I dig up a 15 year old vine every couple of years, life expectancy > 20 years although the fruit production can decline BUT if your patient the quality of the fruit (taste) supposedly improves, I go for quantity.
Community Veteran

Thanks for clearing that up.  Smiley
Community Veteran

Here we are, mid November, and I have just harvested the last of my grapes.  And these last ones are really delicious,though a bit small.
Going to get a couple of seedless varieties next. I have the bug. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Years ago I grew a couple of Grape Vines, roots were outside the greenhouse but the vines were inside the greenhouse, I Think they were black hamburgh  or something similar.
Most of the grapes were small and it was only years later I learned that you need to thin the bunches out if you want larger grapes.
The type of vine you grow is very important as only a few give good results in this country.
Planting medium is also important, I think they like chalky soils but please check out anything I have said as it's 40 years or more when I last tried to grow them.
What I do grow now (on a South Facing Wall) are Figs, need virtually no maintenance and we have had loads this year. Smiley 
Fixes: 47

I have a fig tree but all the fruit goes next door as I don't know what to do with them (unlike the wasps).
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well that goes for most fruit if you leave it too long. Smiley
Fixes: 47

Define too long Undecided
I'm going to have to read a little on this.
I'm not a gardener even though both my Dad and my late wife were fanatical.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

What strat really means is...... " I don`t give a fig about gardening,... even though my relatives did ! ".  Roll eyes