cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone got any problems with Skype this morning?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Anyone got any problems with Skype this morning?

Was using Skype happily yesterday. Had Windows automatic update overnight, this morning Skype reports "Check your internet connection" My internet connection is working just fine.
Checked with Skype FAQ's etc. and found an answer to check that MS IE is set to "online" whether IE is your preferred browser or not (in my case it isn't) and lo and behold no IE on my PC. I was under the impression that Windows would not let you uninstall IE. But it seems to me that has been exactly what has happened but not by me. Evidently Skype needs it. IE must have been onboard yesterday as I was using Skype.
I suppose I will have to reinstall it (reluctantly)
Any ideas anyone?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Re: Anyone got any problems with Skype this morning?

I have just installed my Windows Updates and checked  Skype - all OK
Firefox is my default browser but IE9 also working OK.
Maybe it is worth doing a system restore?
Razer
Grafter

Another way for MS to force people to have IE. I take it this change occurred when they bought Skype.
Community Veteran

@cyrilclark1, which is what I've been doing for the last hour or so; Skype is now working online again, however I cannot locate IE of any version on this PC. In some respects I'm quite happy about that. I have an Internet Explorer folder in Program Files but no application start icon. Doing a search for IE on the start button produces nothing at all for IE, except a "program not responding" "windows is searching for a resolution to this problem" followed by an uncalled for shutdown of the PC, cancelling this returned me to where I was before the start button search.
Skpye is still working though.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

So nothing to do with MS trying to force you to use IE then Undecided
Community Veteran

Only quoting from the Skype FAQ's and help. There are though plenty of other files in the Internet Explorer folder IE uninstall for instance. So perhaps there's enough there for Skype to work, the only thing as far as I can see is any means to actually start IE. And of course start/search finds nothing like IE at all including the Program Files folder.  And yes, I have waited for the search to finish.
There is nothing in any other MS folder either.

Community Veteran

I don't use Skype so not sure how it works.  What purpose does a browser play in Skype?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
What purpose does a browser play in Skype?

Some IM programs use the IE engine (which is almost guaranteed to be on every windows system) to display content in the chat window. They in essence use html to display different fonts and images such as smileys and thats why the IE engine is often used.
Yahoo and MSN both used it in their messengers if memory serves as I was researching their protocols moons ago and stumbled across this info.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

The question is, do they still work if you don't have IE installed?
Fixes: 47

My IE has been broken for weeks now, it tries to start and fails....I'm devastated Wink
Skype is working just fine.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Razer
The question is, do they still work if you don't have IE installed?

No idea. As I understand it the actual engine itself is integral to the operating system. Internet explorer simply uses the engine like any other program. I would assume that they would still work without IE as the engine should still be in windows.
Quote from: Strat
My IE has been broken for weeks now, it tries to start and fails....I'm devastated Wink
Skype is working just fine.

As above, IE uses a display and rendering engine to show content that is part of the windows OS. If IE itself is knackered it doesn't mean that the engine is.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Whatever caused my problem earlier today it definitely to do with the Windows update. Shutting down PC a couple of hours ago the same update automatically installed again and...Skype now has exactly the same connection fault.
I suppose I'm going to have to (re)install IE whether I want or not.